Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 loads some drawings very, very slowly

sbzatto

Hi, I use the aforementioned Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007, and it seems to open a few files very slowly. It takes up to 5 minutes to open a .dwg, that has been made on ACAD 2010 and is roughly 5 MB's in size with over 20 layouts in it.

My PC is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 4cpu 3.4GHz, with 8192 RAM and a Quadro FX 580 for graphics, so I can hardly blame the machine for the slowdowns.

The drawings are on our FTP server, other, less detailed drawings, that also are on the FTP open with ease. But these drawings have huge load times and very big rendering times when switching between layouts.

The main question is, could this be an issue with the compatibility between ACAD 2007 & ACAD 2010? Because I've seen the owner of these drawings open them at the fraction of the time it takes for me to open, and his machine is not better, if anything it's worse than my workstation.

• 2 weeks later...

Just throwing this out there but we have had severely slow load times due to the hundreds, and sometimes thousands of 'annotation scales' that seemed to occur across the versions as you have posted. 2009 and up have a dialog box that should pop up noting the user that the drawing has a ton of unused annotation scales and gives you the option to remove/reset them. You can also run the command -scalelistedit then his 'r' for reset, 'y' for yes, then 'e' for exit. You usually have to run the command with a - (dash) in front of the command as if you don't it takes forever to load them into a dialog box. Typically using the (dash) runs commands in the command line rather then a dialog box. Anyway, this may be the issue. Also, if your drawings have XREFs in them, reset the annotations in the XREFs first, then in the drawing they are referenced into and you will be good to go.

This may not be the solution but annotation scale lists are notorious for severely slowing down load times. Please post back if this is the solution for future searchability.