trimming a Door Jamb

bibi

hello

New to Autocad and using Autocad 2010. I am trying to trim a door jamb and attached my project in this thread. The attached picture comming close to finishing the drawing. There are other door jambs in the drawing that I have not started.

Trimming the door jamb I have selected several lines. Appearing in the attachment as two horizontal lines located above the lower left square and the left verticle outside double line border. These are my step to trim these lines.

Extend Command. Select both horizontal lines. Press Enter to end the command.

Trim Command: Select both horizontal lines once more. Enter.

Select verticle outside lines. Enter twice.

Trim Command running select both horizontal lines again. press Enter.

Completing the jamb in the drawing the two horizontal lines still there only as dashed lines. After saving the project these lines appear as solid lines.

Comming close with these steps. Is it possible to show me how to trim the door jamb following these guide lines I have outlined. Thank you. Cabin04a.jpg.dwg

Running the OVERKILL command on your drawing AutoCAD detected one line and deleted it.

You just want to trim the two lines that extend to the right past the door opening?

Can I offer some advice?

Create a new layer called "floor plan" and put all your lines on that layer. Assign a color something other than white too.

Create additional layers for such things as hatching, dimensions, text, furniture, windows, and doors, etc. Assign each layer a unique color (don't make everything the color white). This will make working with the drawing easier as you progress further into it as you can turn layers On/Off or Freeze/Thaw them.

Do you plan on making use of a paper space layout or haven't you thought that far ahead?

Re ReMark

You mentioned some about running the OVERKILL command. Is there a way to shut that command off? & yes I would like to trim the two horizontal lines that appear to the right the door opening. I have also heard of paper space but never used it & also created layers in separate drawing. But I would like to trim both the horizontal and veritcle lines. Not sure why I can't trim two horizontal lines. From my textbook trimming is something I will needing in the future. Is it possible work with me just alittle bit? Not sure what else to do? Thanks.

Trimming is pretty straightforward so I'm having trouble figuring out why you are having any problem at all. But first re: OVERKILL.

The OVERKILL command is not turned on or off. It is a command found in Express Tools used to rid a drawing of lines that are inadvertently drawn one on top of the other or that overlap. I used it on your drawing to eliminate any chance of duplicate geometry that would affect the use of many commands like Trim for instance.

Back to Trim.

Here is something you can do. You can invoke the Trim command then tap the Enter key twice. What this does is make every object trimmable. That is they all can be trimmed and at the same time be used to trim other objects. Try it.

Assuming you will be working mainly with architectural drawings you are well advised to set up a template file with all your layers, colors, linetypes, text and dimension styles already established. Every time you start a new drawing you should use this template file so you will not have to repeat the process of setting everything up each and every time a new drawing is created. Once you open the template file you do a "save as" and save the drawing (as a DWG file) under a new name. AutoCAD switches to this new drawing and your template file remains unaffected.

Most everyone here would be happy to work with you and answer your questions and many of them are much smarter than I am so don't be afraid to ask for help. We'll do the best we can to assist you.

I have to step away from my desk for about an hour. Upon my return I'll check this thread. If it looks like you need further help I'd be glad to assist you but I'm pretty sure someone else will jump right in and get you straighten out well before I return.

Re Remark

In your responce. I just trim the project by trial and error using the trim command selecting the lines and hitting Enter in different combinations, and it worked. As a newbie sometimes your resourses make things more complicated than they should be. But, You got me on the right track. So, Thanks a bunch. :D

Trim, a double tap on the Enter key, trim anything and everything you want.:)

If you consider that way too complicated then wait until you start editing 3D objects.:o

TRIM is easy if you pay close attention to the command line and follow what AutoCAD is asking you to do. First AutoCAD asks you to select the cutting edges. That's the same as saying "What entity do you want to use to trim with?" You then select your object or objects (yes, you can select multiple cutting edges). The you are prompted to select the object(s) to trim. That's pretty darn clear. "What do you want to trim?" The only difficulty you might experience is if you select on the wrong side of the cutting edge. It happens some times. No big deal.

Did you take my advice about setting up a new layer with a different color and putting your floor plan objects on that layer?

Re ReMark

I don't know if I am on the right track and I might be partially confused. When I mentioned sometimes your resourses make things more complicated then they should be I was implying to my textbook. You help me out of a jam I appreciate the information & thanks again. Have a Happy Holiday.

Ok...I guess I thought you were talking about the advice I was giving you not the book you were working out of. What book are you using? Thanksgiving is still a few days away. But have yourself a good weekend. Perhaps we'll meet again.