File Not Valid vs. Read Only

Tiger

Hai folks,

My compadres and myself have upgraded to Win7 (finally!) and AutoCAD 2011. That combo is finally playing nice with our file-system at the office and you can no longer open the same file twice without any indication that you are in fact doing so. You can imagine the troubles we had..

Anywho, now we get a warning message. But while I get the "this file is in use, do you want to open it Read Only"-message a collegue of mine gets the "File Not Valid"-message? Does anyone know why there is a difference? And how to change it? It would be much better to get the Read-Only-message everywhere.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackBox

• DANIEL

• Tiger

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

The drawings that are getting the "File Not Valid"message... they're definitely created / saved as using AutoCAD 2011 (meaning 2010 file format)?

Is this individual the only one experiencing this behavior with these "problem" drawing(s)?

The drawing could have been created using an older version and saved up. The drawing could be corrupt. Try running a RECOVER on the drawing(s), or even INSERT it (the problem drawing) into a new, empty one.

HTH

I had an ongoing problem with dozens of files created over the years being opened in 2012 and getting the "File not Valid" message. I submitted a request for help via my Subscription and even sent them a representative file. Someone at AutoDesk was able to "fix" the file and told me the method that was used. Unfortunately when I attempted to fix a file on my system the method did not work. They gave me two options. 1) Uninstall and reinstall (they suspected a corrupt install) or 2) have someone at AutoDesk remotely take over my computer and see if they could deduce the cause of the problem. I told them to forget it. Strange thing though, I open these same files in 2010 on the same computer and do not get the error message.

They are definitly made in AutoCAD 2011 and saved to 2011 (I saved them on my own comp). They are not corrupt, once I have closed the drawing, he can open it just fine. It is only in the instance when I have the drawing open and he wants to open a Read-Only-version of it. And it happens with all drawings.

Is it possible to open a file as Read-Only another way?

Is it possible to open a file as Read-Only another way?

Absolutely! :wink:

this is a simple example of how to open a drawing read-only:

(defun c:OPENR () (c:OpenReadOnly))
(defun c:OpenReadOnly ()
 (princ "\nOPEN READ-ONLY ")
 (vl-load-com)
 ((lambda (acApp / f)
      (if (/= 1 (getvar 'sdi))
        (if (setq f (getfiled "Select file to open read-only" "" "dwg" 16))
          (vla-activate
            (vla-open (vla-get-documents acApp) f :vlax-true)))
        (prompt "\n** Command not available in SDI mode ** ")))
     (vlax-get-acad-object))
 (princ))

** Note - There may be an issue with the GETFILED function when selecting a file in the Active path; let me know if you experience this, and I will revise (short on time right now, hence my linking the previous code! LoL)

HTH

I have had this occur intermittenly with my 2012 install, as well as the issue remark mentioned, though I have been able to work around the corrupted files by doing recovers on them. I've been blaming windows 7 as its only files that have been tinkered with by users using windows 7.

That's really strange to me, given that I've been using Windows 7 now for going on +/-6 months without issue. Meh - what can you do. LoL

I've had other issues with 7 as well, such as autocad only being able to access the windows default printer.

I've had other issues with 7 as well, such as autocad only being able to access the windows default printer.

The only printer availability issue we've experienced, was waiting for IT to setup the 64-Bit compatible print drivers (my team adopted Win7 +/-6 months before everyone else in my region). All "connected" network print devices are available to our Land Desktop 2009, Civil 3D 2011, and Civil 3D 2012, in addition to any version specific PC3 files.

... Sounds like a CAD/IT Administrator fail IMO. Just saying. :P

The only printer availability issue we've experienced, was waiting for IT to setup the 64-Bit compatible print drivers (my team adopted Win7 +/-6 months before everyone else in my region). All "connected" network print devices are available to our Land Desktop 2009, Civil 3D 2011, and Civil 3D 2012, in addition to any version specific PC3 files.

... Sounds like a CAD/IT Administrator fail IMO. Just saying. :P

it's definitely an IT administrator fail but its also a win7 fail lol

At my previous employment, when a particular co-worker had a job open, I would receive a similar message and not be able to open the file. He was running AutoCAD for Mac. He would need to close the file, allowing my xrefs to load, then he could reopen and continue working.

Absolutely! :wink:

Thanks RenderMan! It works like a charm :)

For my collegue though, I can't tell him to use a lisp. I mean, I could - but that would just mean that everytime he encounters this problem, he will turn to me and say "now, there was something I could do to fix this right?" The whole old dogs new tricks explains him very well. And yes, I could insist, but that would just mean he DOESN'T ask me, not that he learns the trick. Anyway, I saw the little arrow on the Open-button and there is an option to Open As Read-Only there, I will try it and see if it bypasses the problem.

I have had this occur intermittenly with my 2012 install, as well as the issue remark mentioned, though I have been able to work around the corrupted files by doing recovers on them. I've been blaming windows 7 as its only files that have been tinkered with by users using windows 7.

Yeah, I think it's a combination between Win7 and ACAD 2011 that makes this error-message pop up when it shouldn't pop up. I am glad that we have moved from XP though so I will not complain too loudly.

Thanks RenderMan! It works like a charm :)

You're welcome. :D

For my collegue though, I can't tell him to use a lisp. I mean, I could - but ...

That's alright... At worst, I was hoping you *would* insist, and post a recorded video of their facial expression when you informed them of the new rule... Only kidding of course. :P Whatever works best for you; I only meant to offer one alternative solution. Enjoy!

**Edit - I'm supposed to be on vacation today, and I'm working instead. I'm cranky today. :glare:

Cranky Render is a no fun Render :(

Hope that its only today that you need to work mate.

Edited by Tiger
note to self: now is not no

Cranky Fun Render is a now fun Cranky Render :(

FTFY ;)

Hope that its only today that you need to work mate.

You, and me, and my Fiancé both!

^^ That's SO going to end up in our "other" thread! :rofl:

:offtopic:

She's kind of p!ssed that I'm working - we scheduled to both take today a month ago, and here I've been working since 5:00 AM (from home albeit - but still!). I should be on vacation... sleeping in, making breakfast when I do choose to wake up.

The worst part is that I've been having to travel to another office once a week; it's an hour trip each way, and the irony is that I've been voicing that my going serves no purpose as there's no training, no meetings, I'm literally working from another office, for the sake of being in that office... and now, I'm working on a day that I should be on vacation, so I can meet a deadline, that I *could* have already done. *sigh*

Oh well, especially given that I worked all weekend, I'm charging them overtime, *and* I've got an extra vacation day for next month... LoL, suckers! :thumbsup:

no, now, know - they mean the same thing, don't they? :facepalm:

Work-related crises happen, it is really annoying though when they happen when you know you could have avoided them. They get to pay for the travel time too I hope.