How to dimension in 3D using paperspace

delliott

For those who are using paperspace and want to dimension your modelspace 3D part.

1. Create a new dimstyle called 3D Standards (copy from your already standard dimstyle), the only thing you are going to change is the text alignment, change it to align with dimension lines.

2. In modelspace use your 3 point UCS and select 3 points on part how dim. will lay. So, if you need to dim. top, then pick 3 points on top, ect...

3. Change the dimscale to reflect the same scale as the viewport.

4. When finished dimensioning your part, select (Changespace) and select all dimensions (if you want all your dimensions to be in paperspace.

It's simple, easy and accurate!!!

Have fun!!!!

Why wouldn't you just leave the dimensions (that you created in ModelSpace) *IN* ModelSpace? :?

I'm not bashing you, so please do not feel offended. There's been several folks here and in other forums that tout the use of dimensioning ModelSpace line work from PaperSpace... Dimensioning in PaperSpace serves no purpose, other than to place the dimensions in PaperSpace. An extra, unnecessary step in the production process. :facepalm:

Edited by BlackBox

No problem!!! The best thing to do is leave them in modelspace but I put the change space option for those who work for companies that request their dim. be put in paperspace, so, it's just an option instruction. I also forgot to say, to use the alignment dimensioning command when dimensioning your object. Also, after you put 3D dim. in relationship to part and you decide you want to put some leader text/dim in 2D view, just reset your dimscale back to (1)

P.S.

We are using Shipconstructor where I work, on saying that, in 3D modeling, if you leave the dimensions in modelspace and later have to add to the modeled part and/or need to rotate the part for viewing, you can not do that without messing up the dimensions. Rotating the 3D view in modelsapce doesn't change the viewport drawing (if viewport is locked). So, on saying all this, it is beneficial to changespace to paperspace with 3D dim. for Shipconstructor users.

Edited by delliott