Autocad 2012 (mac) paperspace issue

zaphin

Hi there,

I'm having a big problem in my paperspace for autocad 2012 (mac version).

I'm in my paperspace and have zoomed in, so the boarders of my layout are no longer in my viewport. I then double clicked, so I'm back in model space, but from with in my paperspace viewport (if that makes sense). So now when I zoom, the model space zooms and re-scales (it doesn't zoom out to reveal the layout).

In autocad 2011, there was a button at the bottom of autoacad that you could click to take you back into paperspace so when you zoom out again it reveals the layout and your modelspace scale is not affected. I can't find this button!!! (It basically does the same as double clicking outside your layout). So now i'm stuck in modelspace from within paperspace. Does anyone know where that button is!? Would be a massive help if you could advise me.

Thanks so much for any help,

Martin

p.s - apologies if my terms "modelspace" and "paperspace" are confusing - I came from microstation..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaphin

• Tiger

• Dana W

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou!

Typing PSPACE did the trick! Clicking on the layout tab didn't do anything though.. It'd be great to get the button back as you could see from that if you were in paper or model space really easily.. But for now I'm just happy that I can get on with things :)

Thanks very much,

Martin

I have a PAPER / MODEL button at the bottom of the screen to the right. It says PAPER or MODEL and you can switch between the two with that button.

I have also learnt that the Origo-symbol at the bottom left corner changes apperance depending on where you are so that is also an indicator.

Really, I can't find the PAPER/MODEL button.... Are you on autocad 2012 (on a mac)? I had it with 2011 but can't find it now... Maybe there is a setting where I can bring it back...?

Thanks for the heads up,

Martin

hmmm, weird - there is a setting. RC // display // drawings & layouts // model/layout

but, I had it on already - what it does is bring up the list by which you can change from model space to paperspace or to other paperspaces - but not model/layout button to take you out of model space from within paperspace..! the quest continues :)

Thanks for the help though.

Martin

I am on 2011 for PC - so it is entirely possible that it is gone in 2012. Strange thing to remove though, it is handy.

I think ReMark is referring to the Model and Layout tabs that are to the left,where you can have multiple Layout tabs. That is not what I mean, this is a button to the right that eitehr says MODEL or PAPER.

Yes, it's the MODEL/PAPER button i'm meaning too... The tabs are different in 2012 - there is one tab you click on and that brings up a list, i'm not so into it because it takes 2 clicks where it used to take only 1... But the button going is weird, because unless you know to type "PSPACE" - you get totally stranded in modelspace within your layout (if you're zoomed in)! Yesterday I had to e-mail a file to a pc with version 2011 to get it out of modelspace and get them to e-mail it back to me!!

All the best,

Martin

.. unless you know to type "PSPACE" - you get totally stranded in modelspace within your layout (if you're zoomed in)!

I think we all have ended up there once or twice :)

In my version I can also Lock the viewport from within the viewport and that way get out to Paperspace. Also a way out :thumbsup:

Ah, sounds good too.. I'll prob stick to the PSPACE command for now, unless there is an added bonus to doing it that way?

I'm having another issue now though! (perhaps I should start a new thread?) It's when I come to pdf a layout. I get a warning saying:

"Adobe PDF: This plotter configuration cannot be used for one of these reasons: the driver cannot be found, the device cannot be found, or the driver has a problem. The default plot device has been substituted."

I guess this comes up because I don't use adobe pdf writer on my mac, I just use the mac pdf writer. It still lets me print to pdf after the warning though. But for some reason I just can't get an A3 print out - it crop about 1/3 of the layout off the page. Has anyone had this issue too? It's always been pretty straightforward on 2011 but i'm not sure if the issue is autocad or the pdf writer...

Any help much appreciated :)

Martin

I wouldn't worry too much about the warning. I get them all the time for one thing or another. Most times AutoCAD wants to print to a printer that is no longer available or not the one set as the "default" printer.

There are added features with locking the Viewport, the main is that you don't accidentily change the scale.

And yes, you should normally start a new thread for each new question, it makes the forum more manageble.

I won't move your question in this case because it really is not a big deal (right now, if the trouble continues or excalets, then start a new thread). As ReMark said, those warnings come up from time to time. if the printing works anyway, I wouldn't care about them.

About printing a A3, you need to change the scaling in the PLot Dialogue Box before you print.

Thanks for that,

hmmm, I don't think the printer issue has anything to do with scaling - as my layout size is A3 (420 x 297 mm) and my scale is set at 1:1. (My drawing is scaled appropriately within the A3 layout). There is a box you can check next to "fit to paper" in the scale part of the print dialogue box, but it's greyed out for me, so I can't check it.

Also, thought I thought the print was cropping (so too big for A3) - now I think the paper size is correct, but there's an extra large margin down the right hand side and along the top, so these parts are missed out on the .pdf - if that makes sense? I can't seem to find a solution!

Thanks for any help,

Martin

p.s - just replied here as we can continue the dialogue..

Thanks for that,

hmmm, I don't think the printer issue has anything to do with scaling - as my layout size is A3 (420 x 297 mm) and my scale is set at 1:1. (My drawing is scaled appropriately within the A3 layout). There is a box you can check next to "fit to paper" in the scale part of the print dialogue box, but it's greyed out for me, so I can't check it.

Also, thought I thought the print was cropping (so too big for A3) - now I think the paper size is correct, but there's an extra large margin down the right hand side and along the top, so these parts are missed out on the .pdf - if that makes sense? I can't seem to find a solution!

Thanks for any help,

Martin

p.s - just replied here as we can continue the dialogue..

Select DWG to PDF.pc3 for your plotter/printer whether you are using a third party pdf printer or not. Also, don't use the fit to paper button unless you want your scale to be off in the output.

Hi,

Thanks - where do I do that? I'm not sure where this setting is.. In an update - it seems that I get different results depending on which A3 preset I use - if I use "minimum margins" I do actually get the whole layout on my pdf (but the margins are different sizes so I worry if the scale is actually maintained) If I use the standard "A3" preset, that's when it's totally off and the left margin is really big and I loose some of the right side of the layout. I have looked at the margin settings in the "manage custom size" part of the printer dialogue box..

Thanks for the response,

Martin

Ah Dana,

I think I see where you mean to do this (I googled it). In the print dialogue box, where it says "printer" there is a drop down list - it seems that there should be an option there for DWG to DDF.pc3? I don't have that option there! Is this something I should have, and might be causing the problems? Is it something I can fix?

Best wishes,

Martin

Ah Dana,

I think I see where you mean to do this (I googled it). In the print dialogue box, where it says "printer" there is a drop down list - it seems that there should be an option there for DWG to DDF.pc3? I don't have that option there! Is this something I should have, and might be causing the problems? Is it something I can fix?

Best wishes,

Martin

You'd get better results from the F1 key in AutoCad than Google.

Are you talking about in the Mac pdf writer or AutoCad? It should be in the plotter/printer dropdown in either your layout manager or Plot dialog (identical) box in AutoCAD. It comes with the standard installation. If it's not there in AutoCad, then something is wrong but I have no idea short of a Repair how to fix it.

Do a file search of your folders for a folder named "plotters" to see if the dwg to pdf.pc3 file exists. I'd tell you where it should be living but I have no idea where Mac might have put it. You can also find the path to it in the AutoCAD menu item TOOLS > OPTIONS > FILES > Printer Support File Path. You will still have to go back to your Mac equivelent of Windows Explorer to see its content files.

If you are not fully setting up the page layout in AutoCad before plotting, then it is probably defaulting to the Mac pdf software.

There should be no need to go messing with the custom plotter settings when using a standard paper size such as A3, or any others that come pre-loaded in the AutoCad page layout manager selections, unless you have a special borderline that just misses fitting in the standard printable area on the selected page size.

Hey,

Thanks Dana. I can't actually find the pdf.pc3 file anywhere... I know that lion hides a lot of system folders, so it might be that it's just not coming up in my searches.. It's certainly not on my list of printing options though... Is there any way I can download and manually add it?

The mac pdf writer did seem to be stabilising - as in, it started to plot the whole page. It sometimes works and sometimes crops and so far, I can't see what may be causing the issue - I don't think I'm doing anything different each time.

Autocad for mac seems to be nearly there IMHO - it's just that the problems it has are pretty significant and time consuming, I might start a new thread to outline issues I've been having and see if others have had similar problems...

Cheers,

Martin

• 1 year later...

"In autocad 2011, there was a button at the bottom of AutoCAD that you could click to take you back into paperspace so when you zoom out again it reveals the layout and your modelspace scale is not affected. I can't find this button!!!"

- If any of you are having this issue, the solutions is Tools, Palettes, Status Bar or "Command" 6. I hope this is helpful.

-Douglas

Original Post:

Hi there,

I'm having a big problem in my paperspace for autocad 2012 (mac version).

I'm in my paperspace and have zoomed in, so the boarders of my layout are no longer in my viewport. I then double clicked, so I'm back in model space, but from with in my paperspace viewport (if that makes sense). So now when I zoom, the model space zooms and re-scales (it doesn't zoom out to reveal the layout).

In autocad 2011, there was a button at the bottom of autoacad that you could click to take you back into paperspace so when you zoom out again it reveals the layout and your modelspace scale is not affected. I can't find this button!!! (It basically does the same as double clicking outside your layout). So now i'm stuck in modelspace from within paperspace. Does anyone know where that button is!? Would be a massive help if you could advise me.

Thanks so much for any help,

Martin

p.s - apologies if my terms "modelspace" and "paperspace" are confusing - I came from microstation..