Need Help With Drawings

Bluey

I agree with these last two post, the OP is obviously trying to learn the basics here. I'm sorry I didn't speak up sooner on this because when I drew it up in my earlier post is was just simple geometry. Well maybe not simple, but far from complex. As I see it, the issue seems to be the tangent line in the top view between the two circles on the ends. I completely agree with DraftingMadeSimple's suggestion, in fact that is how I did mine. I constructed the two circles and then used this method but unfortunately it gave me a line which was 5° 21' in lieu of the angle shown in the OP's sketch. This line can be constructed by simply drawing a line using tangent as your osnap point on the upper right of the circle on the right and then drawing it a 4°-40' from the horizontal going to the left of 175.3333°. Extend this line to the vertical center line of the large circle on the left. Trim the circle on the left with the bottom horizontal line and this new line drawn at the top, then fillet the top line and the arc on the left using 10 as your radius.

This does call back to JD's point that typically a designer would try to make the line which forms the top of the outer part and the top of the inner tooling to be parallel. But there is no law which says they have to be and the machine design may call for this. This method left me with a line at 4°-40' to the horizontal or 175.3333°

To the original OP, if you're still stuck on something, we certainly do want to help you so can you upload what you have thus far and then perhaps we can pinpoint which area you need help with.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bluey

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• SuperCAD

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ATTACH]31305[/ATTACH]

Maybe this will help.

I couldn't open the link. It says:

There was problem displaying the model

There were (1) warnings. OK Show details

-

This DWF file is a newer version of the DWF file format and may contain features that are not viewable with this version of DWF Viewer.

(06.20

1 : 0)

This does call back to JD's point that typically a designer would try to make the line which forms the top of the outer part and the top of the inner tooling to be parallel. But there is no law which says they have to be and the machine design may call for this.

Send it out the shop floor with a dimension like that and the law (such that it is on the shop floor) will come down fast.

Machinist (and inspectors) hate when engineers dimension like this. Especially on a part like this were there is no obvious functional requirement.

Get a reputation for stuff like this and they guys out on the shop floor will go out of their way to try to cause problems for you.

None of my posts contained the suggestion to go parametric.

Sorry, getting confused with myself lol

I agree with these last two post, the OP is obviously trying to learn the basics here. I'm sorry I didn't speak up sooner on this because when I drew it up in my earlier post is was just simple geometry. Well maybe not simple, but far from complex. As I see it, the issue seems to be the tangent line in the top view between the two circles on the ends. I completely agree with DraftingMadeSimple's suggestion, in fact that is how I did mine. I constructed the two circles and then used this method but unfortunately it gave me a line which was 5° 21' in lieu of the angle shown in the OP's sketch. This line can be constructed by simply drawing a line using tangent as your osnap point on the upper right of the circle on the right and then drawing it a 4°-40' from the horizontal going to the left of 175.3333°. Extend this line to the vertical center line of the large circle on the left. Trim the circle on the left with the bottom horizontal line and this new line drawn at the top, then fillet the top line and the arc on the left using 10 as your radius.

This does call back to JD's point that typically a designer would try to make the line which forms the top of the outer part and the top of the inner tooling to be parallel. But there is no law which says they have to be and the machine design may call for this. This method left me with a line at 4°-40' to the horizontal or 175.3333°

To the original OP, if you're still stuck on something, we certainly do want to help you so can you upload what you have thus far and then perhaps we can pinpoint which area you need help with.

I have tried a few different sections just for practise, but here's a drawing where I think i'm going along the right lines, still don't think I understand how to get the correct angle of the line on top... how do I post a cad file here?

I'm finding all this info quite a lot, but trying to take it all in, it helps if you talk 'dumb' to me if that makes sense, it's hard to understand what you are talking about without seeing it, I appreciate everyones input

Hey Bluey, here's a step-by-step guide with some snapshots to show how I would draw the 4d40' line on top. Hope it helps you understand better.

Tangential Line with Angle.pdf

And I uploaded my file by selecting Go Advanced below the Quick Reply box. You will see the Attachments icon (paper with a clip) for posting your cad file. Not sure if there is other ways to do this as I'm still new to the forum.