Need Help With Drawings

Bluey

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and new to autocad, only ever used pro desktop so this is very new to me, I don't understand how I am meant to draw these drawings for my assignment due in, I don't understand how to draw everything to the correct sizes with circles having odd shapes and different radius angles, I don't know how to do, I'll get a picture up in a second

img1255g.jpgimg1255g.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bluey

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• SuperCAD

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMG_1255.jpg

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and new to autocad, only ever used pro desktop so this is very new to me, I don't understand how I am meant to draw these drawings for my assignment due in, I don't understand how to draw everything to the correct sizes with circles having odd shapes and different radius angles, I don't know how to do.

How do i join the circles up to create the right length, my tutor was also talking about 'minutes' for some reason which I didn't understand

There should be some explaination of the commands that you are meant to use previous in the book. There usually is.

I would say CIRCLE, POLYLINE, TRIM and FILLET should get you far.

Draw everything in model space at full size.

Circles can be drawn using either their radius or their diameter. You do know what the difference is right?

You'll need to use the Line command (obviously) but you'll also need to know how to use the Trim command. Offset might come in handy too as well as the Fillet command. Are you familiar with any of these commands? What other drawings have you done so far?

The "sectional" view will require the use of the Hatch command.

Hi Bluey,

Welcome to the forum. That drawing looks like a nice challenge. Tiger has given you most of the commands you will need. Use help in AutoCAD for explanations of them all if you need it. I expect someone here will be able to give you some guidance on completing it if your really struggling. How much do you know about AutoCAD? How new to it are you?

On the subject of minutes, your tutor is talking about angles. Degrees are split into 60 minutes which are again split into 60 seconds. This gives greater accuracy of angles. Quick google should clear this up!

That's the thing, he just gave us the sheet and we have to work out everything just by looking at the info provided, I can do the circles and what not, it's working out the length of the line between the two circle sections and the radius, I'm new to this so probably sound quite stupid, but it's hurting my brain :P

Thanks for all the replies guys! I know the basic commands, it's just working out how to join up the circular angles and stuff, so I don't know how to work out the line where it says 4o - 40ominutes thing, only other drawing I did was a three angle view of an ipod docking station which was all rather basic since it only involved circles and squares kinda thing and dimensions

You have the measurement from center to center of the holes. That along with the radii of the holes will give you the whole lenght.

Right which is 145mm? Am I looking at it right lol

Sounds like you're good to go then. Can you have a finished drawing to us in the next hour? It doesn't have to be dimensioned.

I'm just about to go into a lecture, but will be done in about an hour and will head home and get on this asap, will you be around later or this evening? thank you all for all the help, there is another 3 drawings to do which are much harder than this, but hopefully I'll get the hang of things while completing this!

Right which is 145mm? Am I looking at it right lol

That is hard to say, its not a very clear picture. But if I where you I would start with that and see what happens.

That is hard to say, its not a very clear picture. But if I where you I would start with that and see what happens.

Well on the image doing a side view it shows circle to circle as 145 mm so I think I understand what you're saying

By the way, that angle is 4 degrees 40 minutes. Remember that AutoCAD defaults to 0 degrees being at the 3 o'clock position, 90 degrees at the 12 o'clock position, and 180 degrees at the 9 o'clock position. If you don't change the direction of 0 degrees you might have to use the compliment of the angle which would be 175 deg 20 minutes. You might, but you don't necessarily have to, change your Angle type to Deg/Min/Sec with a Precision of 0 degrees 0 minutes.

Drawing progression - top view.

Bluey_topview.jpg

You'll need to use the Array command for the bolt hole circles on the right end.

Are you familiar with the ability to draw a line tangent to a circle? It might come in handy.

I had trouble reading some of the dimensions in your image so the drawing might be off a tad but you get the general idea right?

That was a nice little project go through.

I mostly used presspull to create the solids. For the larger rings, I made a closed polyline of the profile and revolved it around a center line, then subtracted from the larger solid.

As ReMark stated, the dimensions were a little hard to read, so I took some liberties with the dimensions I used.

If I had my microphone and a gotomeeting program, I could walk you through this.

Tooling Around.jpg

In terms of Design for Manufacturability (DFM) the 4°40' would be economically prohibitive to manufacture.

A better dimension (with only slightly altered geometry) would be a parallel offset dimension between these features (red).

And make sure you look up the tap drill sizes for those threaded holes. (don't make the holes too big)

DFM.jpg