mapping a 2D drawing onto a 3D curved surface

beng84

Hello!

first post - I'm using AutoCad 2007.

I'm trying to map a simple 2D flat drawing onto a curved surface.

To be really literal and clear....I have a 3D drawing of a very simple curved floor, similar to a skateboard ramp or a photographers infinity curve backdrop. I also have a 2D design. I simply want to drop my 2D drawing onto this curve, so that it follows the geometry of the curve's surface.

I've attached a little sketch to help visualize

Thank you for your help

surface mapping.jpg

A general method would be to use the PROJECTGEOMETRY command, though I’m not sure which version of AutoCAD that command first became available. Another method would be to extrude the artwork and IMPRINT that solid onto the curved solid.

I have a routine that maps vector geometry on to curved surfaces; unfortunately, it only works with AutoCAD 2009+. If the suggestions above do not work well, post what you need - I’ll map the geometry and post back.

Hi Seant - I had a go, and didn't get the result I wanted

I've attached the file with all the necessary information. If you had a moment to map it on that would be great, and thanks again for the offer.

I'm upgrading to the latest version of aCad with my new laptop, so hopefully all this will become much easier

Thank you

2D TO 3D MAPPING.dwg

it's perfect! thank you so much.

I'm interested to know what method you used. Is it something which is possible to do in 2007, or is it only a feature in 2009+?

either way, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. It's exactly what I needed