manageing layers

anstedsf

I opened a large block from Design Center to see what it was. Since I didn't need it, I deleted it. It apparently left behind about 50 layers totally unrelated to my open drawing. How do I delete these? The dialog box says that I can't delete them because they are xref'd or have objects open in the drawing (but they don't).

LAYDEL is supported. You could use that command to delete the layers.

Select object on layer to delete or [Name]:

I suggest you then type N for name and then browse to the layers in the dialog box that pops up.

Yes, that does work, but is there a batch way to do it? There are about 75 layers that the block added whose objects don't exist. Doing this one layer at a time would take hours!!!

Beat me to it, yes you can select multiples by simply using CTRL or SHIFT in the normal way that your operating system would select files.

If you happened to want to keep any data that may exist, you could do a similar process with LAYMERGE command and put them all into one XREF layer.

Next time, instead of erasing the block, use undo to remove a block that you inserted by mistake. Did you _PURGE the block definition before trying to _PURGE the layers?