Manhole Sump for Civil 3D Pipe Networks

loopfish

I'm currently trying to learn how to use pipe network at school. Our program doesn't normally teach it so I'm kind of on my own when I get stuck.

I'm having an issue with the sump's in my manholes. The manholes we're using do not have sumps and I can't find out how to set the sump depth to 0.

I've set a rule under for structures that sump = 0 but it still shows a sump in the profile view. Anyone know of a way of fixing this?

Here is a picture of the sump that I'm talking about:

P40nJ.jpg

In lieu of someone who knows what they're doing, I'll field this one.

One thing you'll learn about AutoCAD is that sometimes you can make it right, and sometimes you can make it pretty, but you can't always do both. A colleague in my office found that you can define a sump of 0, but you have to use the NF junction box, which is a plain rectangle. In other words, to get the sump right, you have to give up the pretty manhole.

• 2 weeks later...

ditto here - I'm not a pipes guy....but I know some of the guys here have had issues with sumps before, where they were not applying the rules. In their case, the good old purge, purge regapps, and Audit fixed it.

• 4 weeks later...

What you may be seing is not necessarily the sump. Your manhole has a "Floor Thickness" dimension. the default is 150mm I believe.

So even if you set your sump to 0, You will still see the floor thickness of the structure

Sump.jpg

To elaborate a bit on the previous post, the floor thickness is a property of the structure as defined in the parts catalog. You can change the thickness, but only to another number in a table of predefined values. You can't change that table without redefining the part in the catalog. That means a lot of studying and a little work, but if you have a thousand manholes to draw, it's probably worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing to check would be the style of the pipe coming into the structure. It looks to me as if the profile view of that pipe is just showing the centerline of that pipe. The structure is getting it's bottom elevation from the invert of that pipe so if you have a 24 in pipe and your pipe style is showing the pipes centerline then your structure would look like it had a 1 foot pipe thickness sump. Try looking at it with pipe outside walls layers turned on in the display tab with profile view on the drop down selected in the "edit pipe style...." of your mini menu. hope that helps and i'm not to late.