anyone ever modeled the tread on a tire before?

TLRstacker

if so how do you do it?

i have tried to do this a few ways and this is a sclose as i can get....

RB-002-001.jpg

the only issue with this is the tread pattern is done flat and projected onto the surface and it is not at true lengths due to the dual curve of the tire....

i tried doing this flat first and then bending the part but i can not get it to bend on 2 axis like i need it to. and i can't think of a way that i could rotate or project the treads to make them take true shape/form. it would be REALLY handy if i could flatten the part also so i can make a mould around it...don't want much do i?!:?: :lol:

thanks in advance for any help. :)

thanks for the response JD. i have done a wrap to face to get the model shown in the above pic. i then did a split face and then thicken offset using a surface and then thicken offset back to the face of the solid again to get the tread to sit up kind of the way i wanted. but it still isn't correct and doesn't really allow me to control the length and shape angle etc of the treads with any real accuracy or ease. i had a chat to the client and we talked about how he was making this and what that would translate to when deformed to wrap around the tire/tube. we decided to go with a second option that not only was it a LOT easier to model and control but he thinks it will be more effective to which is nice. :) the only issue i have now is flatening it to make a mould for him but it doesn't seem to want to work for me. i can't attach the file as it is 600+kb zipped and the forum only allows 500kb. :( any hints or tips on the unfold or flat pattern commands would be handy. i know (from reading help files yesterday) that they are different things and i am now thinking i may have had to do this in sheetmetal from the start. but would like some hints if you have any before completely remodeling. :(

thanks in advance for any help. :)

thanks for the links. but the wrap to face doesn't work for what i am trying to do. (as per previous post)

file is to big. even zipped. ;) also wrap to face doesn't work the way i was wanting it to. but none of that matters any more as we have changed the design. i need to know the best way to flatten a double curved section though if it is possible.....(as per previous post)

...file is to big. even zipped.

I really doubt it.

Did you drag the red End of Part Marker to the top of the browser and save with the features in a rolled up state?

i hadn't because i didn't know i could do that.;) but now that you have told me i have. ;)

008 is the wrap to face attempt

009 id the changed tread patten

006 sm is the only one i can get close to flattening.

thanks again for any (and existing) help JD it is greatly appreciated. :)

RB-002-008.ipt

RB-002-009.ipt

RB-002-006 SM.ipt