What CAD software to buy!?

Dan the plumber

Have a look at DraftSight, it's just like AutoCAD LT but it is free. Free even for commercial work. Opens and saves AutoCAD DWG files as well.

No reason to buy LT with DraftSight around.

-[]-S-[DraftSight]"]Link

And since it is like AutoCAD you can use this board for help and inspiration ;)

Lots of tutorials on YouTube as well.

Good luck

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dan the plumber

• SLW210

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SketchUp is great but with the current mind set at Google they removed the import DWG from the free version 8 release. Work around you ask? Download the 7.1 Pro version and use it until it expires then down load the import DWG add-on for 7 after the pro version reverts back to the free version after the 8 hour demo is up.

Version 7.1 link

DWG import for free 7 link

Ok, so do you think it would be wise for a novice such as myself to buy TurboCAD delux (have seen on e-bay for £29.00)??? how easy would it be to self teach and do both 2D & 3D room layouts???

Where in the UK are you Dan?

BTW for 3d visuals Sketchup is really easy to learn and will produce graphics easily good enough to blow away the average punter. I use it when I draw up peoples extensions.

lol sounds like a good deal ReMark judging by JD Mather`s reply :cry:

Unfortunatly I live and work in the UK......although with all the training and CAD packages its gonna cost, might be cheaper to fly over to see you :lol:

While you are pondering, why not download the free version of Google Sketchup and start playing around with it. It's 3D and you can get some of the basic concepts down. Free sketchup has far less refined graphics and the commands are mostly all named differently than in AutoCad, but the process is almost identical.

Hmmmmmmm, can you get a shower head that flows more than 2.5 imperial gallons per minute? If so, maybe we can all meet in Bermuda, have a big conflab, get you trained up, and make it so my shower water gets hot enough to use before I forget why I came into the bathroom in the first place.:lol:

I didn't read through all the replies, so this may have been suggested already. I use Bricscad on my laptop when I have to go to a site or am spending the day sitting and waiting somewhere for something. It is completely compatible with Autocad, and I like it so well that I probably won't upgrade Autocad beyond the version I have now. It sells for around $600US, and works extremely well. There are several versions/levels all at differing prices and with differing options and support levels. It's easy to install, set up and get running, doesn't demand quite as many resources from your computer (meaning you can run it on a lighter weight machine than a similar Autocad installation) and gives adequate results. There are some things that it doesn't do that Autocad does, and there are a few things it does that Autocad doesnt. You get lisp and vba functionality and so far, I've had no problems with it at all. There are lots of add-ons available, so you might take a look and see if there is a plumbing add-on. I don't do plumbing, so I can't say if there is one, but I would be surprised if there is not one. I really like it and highly recommend it. There's a 30 day trial that is fully functional except for vba (royalties that must be paid when issued). Far and away a better investment than LT, even if you could get LT for the same price (instead of nearly twice as much).

Hmmmmmmm, can you get a shower head that flows more than 2.5 imperial gallons per minute?

Drill bit will open the ports up wider, make it anything you want.

edit--just be careful if you drill out the choke point in the swivel, they made the wall pretty thin there to prevent what I just descibed. May have to do some improvisation with the plumbing if you have an adjustible shower head.

Where in the UK are you Dan?

BTW for 3d visuals Sketchup is really easy to learn and will produce graphics easily good enough to blow away the average punter. I use it when I draw up peoples extensions.

Im in the West Midlands mate......yourself?

While you are pondering, why not download the free version of Google Sketchup and start playing around with it. It's 3D and you can get some of the basic concepts down. Free sketchup has far less refined graphics and the commands are mostly all named differently than in AutoCad, but the process is almost identical.

Hmmmmmmm, can you get a shower head that flows more than 2.5 imperial gallons per minute? If so, maybe we can all meet in Bermuda, have a big conflab, get you trained up, and make it so my shower water gets hot enough to use before I forget why I came into the bathroom in the first place.:lol:

Is Sketchup quite an easy package!!? the only reason i ask is because i have working on it for a good half hour now but all i have achieved is a basic floor plan layout of a bathroom pretty much made of rectangles......dohhh:?:cry:

Drill bit will open the ports up wider' date=' make it anything you want.

edit--just be careful if you drill out the choke point in the swivel, they made the wall pretty thin there to prevent what I just descibed. May have to do some improvisation with the plumbing if you have an adjustible shower head.[/quote']

If this fails, could always try the trusted friend called "lump hammer", never fails for me ;)

A link to the Bricscad website was listed in post #6.

The price for the UK version of Sketchup Pro was listed in post #27.

Dan: To populate your floor plan visit the Sketchup 3D Warehouse. Plenty of components you can download for free. For example, if you go to Architectural there is a subcategory for plumbing fixtures (58 models available).

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?clid=a7a3afcbdc6059ef8d6d7bc83a5f35bf

Schedule 40 PVC pipe fittings for use in Sketchup can be found here....http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=61ac6eecb3e47182dcffbadf9ca0c282

Sketchup kitchen components can be found here...http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?clid=7a2fdf8ca1f7ff755761acbe04c5757e

Now, do I have to fly over to the UK and do the drawing too?:lol:

Just having some fun. No offense meant.

Is Sketchup quite an easy package!!? the only reason i ask is because i have working on it for a good half hour now but all i have achieved is a basic floor plan layout of a bathroom pretty much made of rectangles......dohhh:?:cry:

I don't like sketchup. I know lots of folks use it every day and I've seen some marvelous work done with it it, but I guess I've just used autodesk products for too long. The only one I've ever tried to use is the free version, and I didn't work on it very long, but after a whole afternoon of wrestling with that I was about ready to pull my hair out. Why struggle with that when there are real cad programs out there? Draftsight is free and does a much better job.