Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackBox

• DANIEL

• tzframpton

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That screen gives me a headache renderman lol

... Yay Google Image search! I have Maya installed on my home computer, but not here at work. Who ever posted that pic turned on most of the menus, etc. for the screen shot. *shrug*

PS. ALL MY HUMOR IS ARTIFICIAL SUPERFICIAL ......

FTFY :wink:

Yeah the ViewCube was something I loved immediately.

Here is my interface with all my Palettes turned on. Obviously this is more of a "need to" basis for the Palettes over the interface. The ones on the right usually stay on when I need them on my 2nd monitor. Large Link Here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4989089/Images/cadtutor/2011-12-02_full_screen.png

2011-12-02_full_screen.png

Alex, we work alike. I use a logitech number pad (N305) for all of my commands and use my right hand for the mouse. This is indeed much faster but have to memorize a lot of numbers. Even all of my blocks are all named in numbers.

I want a clean screen so I just use the quick access toolbar instead of the ordinary toolbar and I put the combo box (layers, line weight, text style, etc.). Too bad we cant put the color property toolbar on the it. I also hide the model and layout tab sometimes via toggle (thanks to RenderMan for that neat lisp).

As for the mouse, I use a Logitech performance MX. My Ctrl+9, Ctrl+0, snaps, F2, Ortho and Esc are all mapped on the mouse

myacad.jpg

For the palettes I need / want open often, I just anchor them. ;)

I also tend to maximize my window to encompass both monitors, unless I need a browser displayed also, etc. Although, I work in Transportation currently, so it's nice to be able to see more of the "roadway," you know? LoL

I noticed this morning that you posted a thread about the differences between Inventor Fusion and Inventor.

In the Inventor products you don't need toolbars or type commands - you can use gestures.

In the attached image you see context sensitive commands, but if I just right drag to where I know for example the Line command will be relative to my cursor - the icons don't even come up as I've already started my desired command. Over time you develop "muscle memory" similar to your typing in command aliases without even thinking about it - but with a simple mouse gesture. That along with a 3D Connexion device and it can look like the model is appearing by magic in skilled hands.

You would never actually see this or other context senstive screens once you become proficient in gesture modeling.

Interesting. Would like to know more about gesture. Isn't it available in AutoCAD?

Alex,

I have a similar approach where I like as much screen area as possible. Here's a couple of things I do.

I auto hide windows task bar.

I reduce the command line to 1 line and simply F2 when I need more info.

I use a dual monitor with AutoCAD on my left (main) monitor. On the second monitor I have the aerial view always on which allows for super fast zooming.

My graphics card allows for easy switching to multiple desktops so I have several set up and open "outside" programs on other sesktops. This eliminates the need to minimize/maximize windows.

rwhitt0724 - I agree with you, I don't use it as there are better ways to get around in 3D.
Rkent, this comes as a surprise to be honest. I figure you would be one who utilizes and loves the Navigation Cube. Simply out of curiosity, what are some of your ways you find better than the Nav Cube?

I keep the ribbon on and minimized as I find more and more uses for it.

I have several toolbars at the bottom and along the sides for customized

macros, etc. I keep some toolbars and palettes on the second monitor

along with the command line window. If I need a bigger screen I will

use my custom clean screen work space as the built-in one eliminates too

many tools for my use. With a work space I can have a few toolbars that

are needed all the time.

I have an ACADDOC.lsp file that loads my needed programs, (many through

the Autoload function, this also loads a lisp file I call Qkeys.lsp and

Settings.lsp. The Qkeys.lsp loads any alias commands I need and I don't

modify the acad.pgp file as it seems redundant and a waste of time to

maintain two files when one will do, and you can do a lot more in the

lisp file compared to the PGP. The Settings file has lots of sysvars

that I like to have set with each session.

I have a folder C:\ACAD and I keep all my lisp files in this location.

Under this folder I have C:\ACAD\LLL\XXXXX, with XXXXX being different

named folders like TEXT, PLINES, MODIFY, DRAW, etc. holding lisp routines

for those functions, making them easier to find when I am looking for one.

I use Design Center quite a bit so I keep it on the second monitor and

have my template defined for the home icon. I can quickly go there to

pull layers, multileader styles, etc. into any drawing that doesn't have

those already in it.

2d WS.jpg

If I need a bigger screen I will use my custom clean screen work space as the built-in one eliminates too many tools for my use. With a work space I can have a few toolbars that are needed all the time.
Never thought of this. Great tip!!!

Hi Tanner,

I use a combination of quick keys for the various views, SE for SouthEast, TV for top view, RV for right, etc. I use 33 for 3dforbit (free orbit) which I like a lot for arranging a model off of the assigned views. Finally I have the view tool bar set up to let me quickly pick one of the assigned views, see attached.

For me I find the Navvcube gets in the way, is slower to use and requires more accurate picks which takes my focus off of the design and onto the function of making the program work.

To each their own.

views.png

Man, am I the only user left that still uses/displays the commandline?

I still use it, it is on the second monitor, although I am trying to use Dynamic Input more and more.

Man, am I the only user left that still uses/displays the commandline?

Nope... I keep mine undocked, five lines shown + Command:, hovering the title block logo (which is populated by Fields + SSM Properties), +/-40% transparency. F2 when I want full view, and (textpage) is built-in to my "dump" functions for when I query Object Properties, Entity Data, etc.

:beer:

Hi Tanner,

I use a combination of quick keys for the various views, SE for SouthEast, TV for top view, RV for right, etc. I use 33 for 3dforbit (free orbit) which I like a lot for arranging a model off of the assigned views. Finally I have the view tool bar set up to let me quickly pick one of the assigned views, see attached.

For me I find the Navvcube gets in the way, is slower to use and requires more accurate picks which takes my focus off of the design and onto the function of making the program work.

To each their own.

Ah, I see. I used to use the View toolbar, granted not in the same orientation you have (which I love BTW). I will definitely agree that your way can be a much quicker way, but the Nav Cube is something I personally adopted immediately. I'm usually not like that which is kinda funny.