schematic symbols

mathew21

Is there any place i can download or get additional icons for inserting? or do i have to make them all up my self? im looking for things like generators inverters batteries and odd boat things

thanks for anyhelp i can get

How about we decide on our terminology first?

Your thread title says schematic symbols. The post however refers to icons. There is a difference. Why don't you tell us what you are really looking for and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

sorry im very new to autocad electrical and just learning it so i can draw up the plans

i guess im looking for icons (the little things like fuses and stuff you insert)

what is the difference between them?

and thanks in advance

No, it sounds like you really need symbols (i.e. - blocks).

A simple Internet search should term up some electrical symbol block libraries.

Why didn't you buy AutoCAD Electrical?

ICON

"A computer icon is a pictogram displayed on a computer screen and used to navigate a computer system or mobile device."

Source: Wikipedia

thats what i have now i was given it and a electrical system on paper to recreate the symbols of everything on the paper plans are differnt than whats in autocad E or theres is nothing close (generators and batteries)

the plans say symbol useage is based on ansi y32.2

ive found some block libraries but how can you tell if there like the ones in autocad electrical and not jsut regular pictures?

ok and symbols are what i need / want

i can post pict of some of the things i have recreated so far.. dont know how to add all the tags and stuff to them yet tho (still learning)

So far I've only found one. http://basicelectricalengineering.com/Autocad_symbols_download.html Haven't downloaded it and taken a look yet but I have a feeling it might contain blocks (i.e. - symbols) that are used on electrical schematics so they should be similar to what is used in AutoCAD Electrical.

If the symbols can be used in an AutoDesk product they will be individual drawing files with the file extension of DWG. If they are "pictures" or images then they would have a BMP. JPG or PNG file extension.

You need symbols for generators and batteries? I'm not sure if I've seen symbols for either of those in AutoCAD Electrical. I've had only limited experience with the program but I did just complete three days of training and I've been promised an upgrade to ACADE 2012 within the next couple of weeks.

ok thanks for the help

thoes the icons ive made so far.. is ther any tricks to adding (properties) or what ever there called places where wires join and stuff to make the ones ive drawn act like the onces supplied with autocadE?

u know how when u insert a included swich into a drawing it breaks the line and allows you to link it to others and updates the tag and everything

im wanting the symbols ive drawn to be able to do that

i also want to be able to tie it to a part number

Tie the symbol to a part number with attributes.

Having your symbols break the line they are inserted to will take some programming so will the ability to link it to other symbols (parent-child relationships), update tags, pin and wire numbers and create reports. Talk to your boss about upgrading plain AutoCAD to AutoCAD Electrical. It would be a far wiser thing to do than to spend time/effort/money on trying to make the enhancements you have in mind to plain AutoCAD.

Good luck in your endeavors.

After rereading your posts from yesterday I see I totally misunderstood what program you are using. You might want to change your profile to read AutoCAD Electrical 2012.

So what you want to do is create schematic symbols in AutoCAD Electrical. To accomplish the task you need to use ACE's (AutoCAD Electrical) Symbol Builder command. Using Symbol Builder you can create the geometry and add the intelligence that will allow your new symbol to act just like those that come standard with ACE. Do NOT create your new symbols using regular AutoCAD commands as they will not act the same as the included symbols.

The Symbol Builder command can be found on the Schematic tab > Other Tools panel or by typing aesymbuilder at the command line.

You might want to check online and see if there is a tutorial about creating custom symbols for ACE. Trying to explain all the steps here would be cumbersome.

ok thanks muchly for all your help

and i tried to change profile to electrical but i couldnt find a option for it

and i was able to find a tutorial on it

edit * i was able to find electrical.. clicking on wrong tab durrrr

You're entirely welcomed. Good luck with your custom symbols. I'll be headed down that path pretty soon myself. Maybe I can pick your brain next time.