• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• 4dmp8

• JD Mather

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dimensions are set on architectural. If this auto cad stuff is as good as advertised there should be a way to direct the system to post the dimension in feet on a scale of 1/8"=1' before you draw your first line

If this auto cad stuff is as good as advertised there should be a way.........

It is as good as advertised as long as you use it in the manner it was designed. There is no unilateral deviation allowed :cry:

......the dimension in feet on a scale of 1/8"=1' before you draw your first line

Why would you want to do that, when you are drawing at 1 to 1. :? The scaling comes afterwards in Paperspace.

First thanx to everyone who is trying to help me out. eldon, you can't draw a storefront that is 24'-0" long on a 9"x12" space, it must be drawn to scale such as 1/8"=1'. Your line would be 3" long but when I dimension it I want it to read 24'-0", how would you do this?

That's right, you can't but your approach is based upon a technique that is now considered out-dated. In AutoCAD one draws their geometry in model space at FULL size. If a garage is 24'-0"x22'-0" then those are the dimensions it is drawn to. If a storefront is 150'-0" long that's the length it is drawn to in CAD. The "scaling" takes place when one utilizes a feature called paper space layouts together with a viewport (or viewports depending on how many are required to show all views).

A viewport can be thought of as a window that allows us to see the objects we have created back in model space. It is the viewport that is assigned a scale and not the objects that we drew. I can draw a Boeing 777 Dreamliner at full size in model space, yet I can get it to print, to scale, on a piece of standard letter size (8.5x11) paper with no problem.

By the way, I've drawn floor plans, along with elevations for a ranch style house using the method I just described and have plotted them on 24x36 paper to a scale of 1/4"=1'-0".

To learn more about model space and paper space layouts why not check out the video tutorial aptly titled "An Introduction to Model Space and Paper Space" found here at CADTutor under AutoCAD 2011: Fundamentals. You'll find it listed if you scroll down to the Interfacing with AutoCAD section. Here's a link to it...http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/infinite-fundamentals.php

eldon, you can't draw a storefront that is 24'-0" long on a 9"x12" space

I have drawn a street that is 440'-0" long on an A4 sheet. The printing process scales the drawing when you want to print it on paper.

First thanx to everyone who is trying to help me out. eldon, you can't draw a storefront that is 24'-0" long on a 9"x12" space, it must be drawn to scale such as 1/8"=1'. Your line would be 3" long but when I dimension it I want it to read 24'-0", how would you do this?

You need to get some training - I suggested that you attach your file here so that someone can show you how to use AutoCAD.

AutoCAD is a professional program and deserves (demands?) a professional level of preparation (the person who cuts my hair, or fixes my car is professionaly certified).

The real world is what it is 1:1. In a Computer Aided Design (CAD) program you design representative of the real world - that is 1:1 (we left the limitations of the drawing boards behind in the last century).

You then let the CAD program scale the views (not the design, not the real world model) to whatever is appropriate for paper documentation.

Once you start designing 1:1 - this all gets sooooo much easier. (used to teach the drawing board a couple of decades ago in the last century)

Lets try this a different way. Let's say I am drawing a rectangle that represents the exterior wall of a building that is 24'-0" long and 20'-0" wide using a scale of 1/8=1'. I draw my rectangle and use the quick dimension tool. I click and post the dimensions, they are 3.000" on the long side and 2.5000" on the short side. Can I now change the numbers only( to read 24'-0" and 20'-0") leaving the indicators untouched, or do I have to use some other type of dimensioning choice, if so how do I accomplish either of these?

Stop drawing "to scale".

Draw the building at its real world size just as JDM instructed you to. Make sure your units are set to Architectural. Since your a newbie I'd suggest enabling Orthomode ("F8") to keep your lines straight both horizontally and vertically. Do you know anything about OSnaps?

Think of a viewport much as you would a window through which you can see the objects you created back in model space.

Viewports should go on their own layer.

The viewport layer should be set to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager. Not sure if you have this option in 2002. If not then you should always freeze your viewports before you print.

Viewports can be resized using their grips.

Viewports can be moved, stretched, rotated, copied and deleted.

Viewports are assigned a scale that is why we draw our model space objects full size.

Once a viewport's display is set up it should be locked to avoid inadvertently changing it.

Plot from your layout at a scale of 1:1. AutoCAD will handle scaling the contents of your viewport(s) automatically.

Your title block and border and any notes should be placed in your layout.

Text and dimensioning associated with your model space objects can go in either model space or in your layout. There are a few different ways this can be handled. Investigate each and choose the one that works best for you.

Think of a viewport ....

In my experience you are getting ahead of the horse. This will only confuse the issue at this point.

The OP needs to model something 1:1 scale first and attach it here so that someone can demonstrate (using the OP's actual work) how to go from there.

The OP has already tried to argue scale several times and not paid any obvious attention to the several people who have responded NOT to model to a scale factor, but model 1:1.

Time to put that scale in the drawer with the slide-rule.

Going to have to agree with Remark and JD you need to learn the correct way to draw in AutoCAD if you want it to work the correct way. All modern cad programs work this way. You always draw at 1:1 scale.

Look at my ACad image, all items drawn 1:1 and the dims reflect this.

acad-2012.jpg

The real world is what it is 1:1. In a Computer Aided Design (CAD) program you design representative of the real world - that is 1:1 (we left the limitations of the drawing boards behind in the last century).

Takes me back to the early 60's! Today it's always 1:1 and ditched the electric eraser, board bush, the BIG drafting table along with the scaled rule.

Numerous laughs when I asked, "You want me to draw on a TV?"

I was actually forced to use AutoCAD, resisted. Along came email, try to send a board draw layout via email. Good luck! :cry:

I heard of somebody who drew the solar system full scale in his modelspace, which I deem to be cad-induced dementia on an epic scale (@1:1). Wish I'd thought of that!

There are some things in AutoCAD which require you to rethink your methods of drawing. Scale is one of these. We all realize why the OP thinks he must draw to scale but convincing him he should change is the issue. First off, if you absolutely must draw to scale, then go ahead. There is no law that says you have to draw in 1:1. But the accomodations you have to make to do this totally defeat the purpose of using AutoCAD and how would one have the time to do all the accomodating of drawing to scale is something you don't want to think about.

The model space represents infinity. So you can draw anything as big or a small as needed. When you present the drawings to the world using either paperspace or like so many old timers I know who still refuse to use paperspace, print from model space...it's all your choice, is where you make things like scale work for you. The tools you need to make great strides in AutoCAD are there for the taking. Just open your mind to a new way of doing things and you'll be glad you did.

An example of a very simple drawing done using a paper space layout. The drawing shows a simple 24'x20' object. In addition to a viewport it contains text and dimensions too. It was saved in 2000 file format.

DimDrawing.dwg

Please see post #22 for the correct file. This one saved in the wrong (2007) file format. Sorry.

Edited by ReMark