what is the meaning of word "vanilla" used in threads

khoshravan

Another definition is the basic package without the add-ons for various disciplines, e.g. Architectural, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical.

Another definition is the basic package without the add-ons for various disciplines, e.g. Architectural, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical.

Indeed! I missed that.

I can't figure out the meaning of "vanilla" used in some threads in this forum. Does it mean my most favorable software?

"Vanilla" is an American English euphemism for "Plain", "Pure", "unadultrated".... etc.

It comes from the need to explain to the young person behind the ice cream counter that you don't want French Vanilla, or Extra Creamy Country Style Vanilla, or Low-Fat High Calcium Vanilla, or Vanilla Almond, or Lactose Free Vanilla.

"I just want Plain Vanilla".:danger::lol:

This is the common meaning.

It used to be that if you went to the Profile for a plain install as described above - the profile would say "vanilla".

Awww... c'mon man, that's just your (former?) CAD Admin / Mgr. messing with you!! It's funny though. :rofl:

*Adds to CAD humor To-Do List*

Maybe I am confused with the list of Profiles in AutoCAD Mechanical - but nobody touches my machine.

Admittedly, I've never worked with Mechanical, however I have never once seen a profile named "vanilla" in any production deployment (OOTB, or Customized), nor in any of the Autodesk Betas I participate in. Just saying.

While the word has common meaning as already indicated previously in this thread - the very common use in reference to AutoCAD didn't come out of thin air. I know I have seen it in the past - and I didn't put it there (Options > Profiles). Maybe someone else will come along and confirm.

A quick Google search turns up many references including this one

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=32209

While the word has common meaning as already indicated previously in this thread - the very common use in reference to AutoCAD didn't come out of thin air. I know I have seen it in the past - and I didn't put it there (Options > Profiles). Maybe someone else will come along and confirm.

A quick Google search turns up many references including this one

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=32209

JD, I wasn't arguing with you... I was dating myself, in somewhat of the reverse context. The use of a "Vanilla" profile has never been seen in my experience... That's due to my utter lack of experience... Get it now? *Shrug*

^^ That's so going in the OOC thread! LoL