Sign Graphics

nager

Hi All,

I'm new to AutoCad LT. I am a environmental graphic designer and drew layouts of signs as "STOP", "Pedestrian Crossing" in Illustrator. When I converted the drawings into AutoCAD, the image is all black but while rolling the mouse over the graphic, I can see the lines of the graphic. How do I get the graphic to look like what I drew, with black lines, white background and black text?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emwhite

• nager

• Dana W

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What kind of file type did you covert the file to? Sounds like you have an image file in a drawing.

Edited by emwhite
grammar

Can you attach the DWG file to this thread and I can see what the possible issue is.

Do you know how to change the color of the layer that the objects are on?

Sorry emwhite,

I created a test file of a handicap symbol, but not sure how to attach it to this thread. FYI, I am running the AutoCAD LT on a Mac.

How do I attach the file?

Instructions written while using Firefox...

1. Make sure you go to advanced posting of a reply.
  2. Below where you type is a Manage Attachments button. Click on it to make a pop-up appear
  3. Click on the Add Files button near the top right corner
  4. Click on Select Files
  5. Browse to your file, click on it and then click on Open
  6. You should be returned to the Manage Attachments pop-up, so click on Upload files
  7. You should now have it appear in your list and in the bottom left corner. Make sure there is a check mark next to it and click on Insert Inline to have it appear as a link in your post.

Wine Fridge.dwg

Sucks that everything is on the same layer. I could see the handicap symbol initially when I opened it. I don't see any other text in there probably because of some odd Mac only font that wouldn't convert correctly on my Win 7 computer.

I selected the hatch and used the DRAWORDER command to send it to the back. Then all of the line work appeared above/on top of the hatched background. I'm assuming that's the same issue you may be experiencing...

Sorry there isn't any text on the test file.

Here is another test file with the symbol and box on different layers. Thanks for all your help emwhite, I'm pulling hairs trying to figure this out.

HndcpSym.dwg

Sorry there isn't any text on the test file.

Here is another test file with the symbol and box on different layers. Thanks for all your help emwhite, I'm pulling hairs trying to figure this out.

Same error message with the text, which is a new one to me. lol

Did you try the DRAWORDER command and send the hatch (colored background) to the BACK?

See if you have the HATCHTOBACK command. Type that out and hit enter. You should be able to see your linework now.

The hatch is on a separate layer or you should put it on one and then you can freeze it so you can more easily get to the line work.

Attached is a .dwg test file of the handicap symbol, and a pdf for your reference.

Makes more sense now. You will have to use the HATCH command with a solid fill to get the handicap symbol to be filled in.

During the conversion, Illustrator used only the outline of the symbol with no fill. The above command should get you what you are after.

Here's an idea.

Your "Selection Preview" is HIGHLIGHTING your hatch area, thus blocking out your grahic symbol. This will happen even if the hatch is sent to the back in the draw order.

Go to your OPTIONS dialog, Selection Tab, and uncheck "When no command is active." if you don't want the cursor to highlight EVERYTHING it touches all the time.

Or you could continue on to the next step...

Then go to the "Visual Effects Settings" button, then to the "Advanced Options" Button in that box, then check Hatches on the Exclude list.

Here's an idea.

Your "Selection Preview" is HIGHLIGHTING your hatch area, thus blocking out your grahic symbol. This will happen even if the hatch is sent to the back in the draw order.

Go to your OPTIONS dialog, Selection Tab, and uncheck "When no command is active." if you don't want the cursor to highlight EVERYTHING it touches all the time.

Or you could continue on to the next step...

Then go to the "Visual Effects Settings" button, then to the "Advanced Options" Button in that box, then check Hatches on the Exclude list.

Wait - each one of those objects is a block. The hatch is a block all by itself. Why is that? Of course I had all sorts of cryptic error messages opening the dwg file, including one that told me the drawing was not created in an AutoDesk Licensed product. I am not sure I am looking at a drawing that has all its "stuff" once it got to my AutoCad LT.

Wait - each one of those objects is a block. The hatch is a block all by itself. Why is that? Of course I had all sorts of cryptic error messages opening the dwg file, including one that told me the drawing was not created is an AutoDesk Licensed product. I am not sure I am looking at a drawing that has all its "stuff" once it got to my AutoCad LT.

Drawn in Adobe Illustrator and exported to AutoCAD. It's probably the way they handle exporting their objects over.

I get the same crytptic error messages. One I think is due to a font style that was used. The other is a warning that you get when a DWG file is created in a non AutoCAD program.

Drawn in Adobe Illustrator and exported to AutoCAD. It's probably the way they handle exporting their objects over.

I get the same crytptic error messages. One I think is due to a font style that was used. The other is a warning that you get when a DWG file is created in a non AutoCAD program.

Yeah, you're right of course. I just wanted to be sure it was the third party software treatment of the objects and not something the OP had defined for some reason. Just that the last time I saw that "license" message from the other side of the ocean, the program was illegal. Not sayin' that's the case at all here.

Yeah, you're right of course. I just wanted to be sure it was the third party software treatment of the objects and not something the OP had defined for some reason. Just that the last time I saw that "license" message from the other side of the ocean, the program was illegal. Not sayin' that's the case at all here.

I understand. I've seen it quite a bit from when people have sent me DWG files created in a non-autodesk program. AutoCAD likes to flag it even though it's perfectly legal for other programs to save a DWG format.