• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emwhite

• nager

• Dana W

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all of your responses, but still haven't figured it out.

Next question, how do I make dashed lines of different weights? Please review the attached.

Best practice would be to put those lines on a different layer. Then change that layer line weight to suit your needs.

Otherwise highlight the lines you want to change, right click and go to Properties. There should be a drop down near the top that allows you to change the line weight of all the items selected.

Do you have any kind of formal CAD training? Why are you drawing this in Illustrator and then fixing it in CAD? Just curious questions...

No formal CAD training, I'm learning it on the fly and have been watching Lynda.com tutorials.

Currently working on a project locating signs and designing them for the parking structure and the architects need everything in CAD.

I usually design the signs and produce the sign location plans in Illustrator, but for this project I'm having to export the files into CAD for the submittal.

The different line weights and dashes indicate different types of signs (e.g. wall graphics, pavement striping) located throughout the parking structure.

When the floor plans are opened in CAD, the line weights are just thin dash lines with no difference between the 2 types.

No formal CAD training, I'm learning it on the fly and have been watching Lynda.com tutorials.

Currently working on a project locating signs and designing them for the parking structure and the architects need everything in CAD.

I usually design the signs and produce the sign location plans in Illustrator, but for this project I'm having to export the files into CAD for the submittal.

The different line weights and dashes indicate different types of signs (e.g. wall graphics, pavement striping) located throughout the parking structure.

When the floor plans are opened in CAD, the line weights are just thin dash lines with no difference between the 2 types.

Oh, Good luck to you! AutoCAD has lots to learn...lol

Yes, the line weight will only affect the print out. You can display the line weights by the toggle along the bottom. If you hover over the icons, one will display "Show/Hide Lineweight" in the pop-up helper. Or type in LINEWEIGHT and check the box next to "Display Lineweight" and press OK.

That is exactly the response I got from the architect...lol

One thing that I noticed with what I see on my desktop is totally different from the desktop of the tutorials.

I don't have all of the icons or options on my desktop like in the tutorials, attached is a screen shot of my desktop in the CAD program.

Screen shot 2011-12-05 at 4.46.50 PM.jpg

That is exactly the response I got from the architect...lol

One thing that I noticed with what I see on my desktop is totally different from the desktop of the tutorials.

I don't have all of the icons or options on my desktop like in the tutorials, attached is a screen shot of my desktop in the CAD program.

You are on a Mac and a majority of AutoCAD users are on Windows. I know the Mac app is going to be different, screen wise, but you can still use the LINEWEIGHT command. Just type the word LINEWEIGHT in the Command bar at the bottom and press Enter or Return or Whatever Mac's call it.

How about running Parallels with a Windows version of AutoCAD?

Just purchased AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac about 2 months ago.

I think I understand about changing the lineweights, but I still need to solve the problems of the symbols being viewed correctly.

Just purchased AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac about 2 months ago.

I think I understand about changing the lineweights, but I still need to solve the problems of the symbols being viewed correctly.

Maybe this video will help you out some?

Hatching:

OK I opened up your PDF in Illustrator and exported a DWG. In AutoCAD I noticed that the sign was a block. I exploded this. I then selected the sign (hatch) and right-clicked and selected Generated Boundry. This put a border on the sign. I used the DrawOrder command the send the sign behind the wheelchair graphics. I then used the trim command and selected the wheelchair graphics to cut out the hatch area from the sign.

sign.jpg

In Illustrator I would release your clipping mask (if you have not) and do what ever you can to get it down to a basic an image as you can get it. I've used Illustrator and CAD together for years and while it may export to DWG the images need to have as basic as possible before exporting.

Good luck :)