AutoCAD 2012 ViewBase command

ReMark

Credit JDM for bringing this command to my attention a while back. Just got around to experimenting with it. VIEWBASE works only in a layout. It does not create blocks like the SectionPlane and Flatshot commands do. It does create some unique layers such as Hidden, Hidden Narrow, Visible and Visible Narrow. A change to the 3D geometry can be reflected in the 2D views that are created via the View Update command. Multiple orthographic views can be created at one time using the Projected View option. It works simply and fast.

My simple 3D wedge base.

3D Wedge Base.jpg

The four resultant views created with VIEWBASE.

Wedge Base views.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• SLW210

• rkent

• 3D generator

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the difference between VIEWBASE and the SOL commands?

The main one is that any change to the model is shown in the viewbase views, no need to redo anything. They are much quicker than SOL commands also as the 4 are made at once with simple moving of the cursor.

VIEWBASE is much faster.

It does not create as many layers as SolView/SolDraw.

There is no geometry created over in model space.

VIEWBASE supports only the following orientations: Top/Bottom/Left/Right/Front/BAck/SW iso/SE iso/NE iso/NW iso.

There is no option for creating a Section or for Hatching as far as I can tell.

2D views can be easily updated when there is a change to the 3D geometry.

Not only does VIEWBASE create the new layers, it automatically assigns the linetype and even a lineweight for each layer.

One can pre-select first or third angle projection.

Preview type: Shaded or bounding box.

Other options available in VIEWBASE are: Representation/Orientation/STyle/SCale/Visibility/Move/eXit.

Cannot "copy" a view. AutoCAD returns the following:

Cannot COPY that object

1 found

1 was filtered out, 0 total

Cannot use the BEDIT command on a view because it isn't considered a block.

I'm sure there is more but I'm still experimenting with the command.

Edited by ReMark

Sounds like it would only work for about 2% of my work, I need the sections for sure and often need to reorient the UCS. The big advantage I see is it doesn't place anything in the Model Space.

I find few reasons to upgrade to 2012.

Available views: Line 4 of post #5.

Sections: Line 5 of same.

Re: SOL updating views. As far as I know if the 3D objects in model space are modified after the views have been created one would have to re-create the views all over again. SectionPlane and Flatshot allow for updating their 2D blocks if one makes changes to the 3D model.

Re: SOL updating views. As far as I know if the 3D objects in model space are modified after the views have been created one would have to re-create the views all over again.

SOLVIEW just creates a viewport, you still see the 3DModel just as you would if you created a viewport in any other way, change the Model the view updates. If you used SOLDRAW, then alter the Model, just run SOLDRAW again it will redraw to conform to the changes. Takes a couple of seconds.

Viewbase is just too inflexible for me, if it did sections it would be a plus, but I often draw at odd angles and need straight on views.

Maybe 2013 or 2014?

Every time you run SOLDRAW you add more layers to your drawing too.

Correction: I should have said SOLVIEW.

Edited by ReMark

If the use of standard orthographic views is not a problem, VIEWBASE is probably the faster, and as the projections it generates are associative in nature, one is assured that the projections are up to date (unless of course they have red flags on their corners, indicating the need to update the projection). SOLPROF is more intuitive and allows one to set up whatever perspectives are required. Yes, new layers (as in the other SOL commands) are generated, but they can be LAYMRGed into your chosen standard layers, or renamed to suit. If you rename the layers, those names will be used the next time you run VIEWBASE. VIEWBASE is used without the need of a viewport, but if there is need for a nonorthographic view, a section or whatever, one can be added in whatever way seems appropriate to a viewport on the same drawing layout. I never had too much luck with SOLDRAW & SOLVIEW, was glad to discover SOLPROF.

So many different ways to go. To each his own, variety is the spice of life.

Lamentably the VIEWBASE generated projections will not display on versions of AUTOCAD prior to 2012. Inventor models provide further enhancements to the VIEWBASE display options which are not supported for AUTOCAD models. Looking forward to improvements in this command, clearly in development, and will certainly get much better.

Edited by Dadgad
more grist for the mill

One can still make use of other commands such as SECTIONPLANE and FLATSHOT to create 2D geometry. VIEWBASE is just another tool in the tool box.

Every time you run SOLDRAW you add more layers to your drawing too.

1. Not true, SOLVIEW and SOLPROF add layers, SOLDRAW creates 2D, the layers are already created. SOLDRAW all you want no new layers.

2. More layers are not necessarily a bad thing.

3. You are correct in VIEWBASE being another tool in the toolbox, one not really needed in its current form. If it is not compatable with previous versions, it is of use

only to a very few.

I would rather have the tools I already use bug free and improved.

The only vertical with this option is Mechanical.

I wonder why you cannot COPY?

Like you said, we already have the SOL, Flatshot and Sectionplane, in its current form I just don't get VIEWBASE.

Why not just improve it enough to replace the other commands and then release it?

One can still make use of other commands such as SECTIONPLANE and FLATSHOT to create 2D geometry. VIEWBASE is just another tool in the tool box.

No doubt a great concept, but I say it is just another half-baked tool from Autodesk. It isn't about what it CAN do, it is about what it CAN'T do.

Yes, SOLVIEW creates layers and SOLDRAW does not. Let's say we create a Top view. SOLVIEW will create the Top-DIM, Top-HID, Top-VIS and a global VPORTS layers. Add a Front view and we get another three layers (-DIM, -HID and -VIS). Add a Side view and get three more layers. And if we add a Section and we get the default three layers plus an additional layer for the hatching (-HAT). Four views and we have a grand total of 14 layers not counting layer 0 and any other layers previously created. When the layers are created the linetype is set for Continuous and there is no lineweight assigned. I could envision a user who does not want to manage all those layers using VIEWBASE.

I don't argue the fact that the command is not what it should be but then again I'm almost positive there have been instances in the past where AutoCAD has taken the same approach and fleshed out a new command either in an update or the next release. The software is always evolving whether it be good or bad is a matter of personal opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours and I respect that.

Viewbase is just too inflexible for me, if it did sections it would be a plus,

Maybe 2013 or 2014?

I wouldn't expect to see it developed much further. I think the reason why they put stuff like this in AutoCAD half-baked is so their VARs can say, but if you upgrade to (insert Autodesk vertical product name) it works like you are wanting. You bought a Chevy - you want a Cadillac. (use other models in place if you don't like the ones I used)

• 9 months later...

Ok - so thanks to all the above for the introduction to the new (for me) command "Viewbase". I've recently upgraded to P&ID 2013 from 2000i / Mechanical Desktop and had difficulties with XREF's not projecting using SOLVIEW / SOLDRAW command.

FLATSHOT worked but has its limitations for my uses. I always found the SOL tools easy to use and flexible - something I don't find with FLATSHOT.

VIEWBASE - Now, I notice that you all referred to 2012 versions of CAD when discussing VIEWBASE. Well, in 2013 there are now options for DETAIL views and SECTION views (of various types).

I haven't tried to check compatibility with other (earlier) versions of CAD for drawings created this way as yet. There are (I've previously found for other commands) almost always workarounds though.

SOLVIEW / SOLDRAW, I shall remember you fondly :D did me proud for 12 years but there's a new king of 3D - Orthographic projections for my toolbox, thanks for the introduction to VIEWBASE folks.

Edit: Modification of projection standard (i.e. First Angle Projection / Third Angle Projection) can be accomplished by a couple of methods, sometimes though, the HELP files are hopeless for variations of CAD like P&ID which I'm using, for instance, I can't find the following HELP hint and you may also have difficulties:

1. Click Layout tab ac.menuaro.gif Styles and Standards panel ac.menuaro.gif Dialog box launcher.GUID-6EC866D6-17B4-4BF1-81D1-9AB5FB49A6CB-low.png.
  2. In the Drafting Standards dialog box, in the Projection type section, click the desired projection angle.

Instead, use the command VIEWSTD which accomplishes the same thing.

Edited by flipper
Additional information

I've attached a portion of Lynn Allen's Tips and Tricks for AutoCAD 2013. The model documentation tools are covered very well.

Here's some of my feedback on the new model documentation tools.

First off, what a wonderful toolset! It’s a vast improvement over the previous alternatives, FLATSHOT, SOLPROF and SECTIONPLANE. Everything was easy to use and very intuitive. Customizing the drafting standards was very easy to do as well.

Here are a few suggestions to make it even better:

1. Allow using xrefs of 3d model: I discovered that the associative dimensions cannot follow a 3d model that is xrefed; once the model is revised, all of the dimensions become disassociated.

2. Improve the stability of associated dimensions: when the 3d model is not xrefed and is in model space the associative dimensions work much better; however, some of the dimensions still get disassociated after model edits. Others stay associated, but their extension line endpoints jump to another endpoint in the model. This requires grip editing and then reassociating the dimension to fix it.

3. Allow editing of line weights in drawing views: I sometimes need lighter line weights on some of the line work in order for the drawing to read better; a good example is in section views where I want the objects shown beyond the cutting plane to be a lighter line weight.

4. Allow hiding of model artifacts in drawing views: particularly with mesh items that have been converted to solids, you sometimes end up with artifacts that need to be erased or hidden.

5. Allow drawing views to be created on more than one layout: it would be nice to be able to have elevations on one layout and sections on another; the EXPORTLAYOUT command allows you to export the drawing views to model space in another file where you could then set up viewports in separate layouts using conventional viewports. However, these views would no longer be tied to the model and would have to be replaced manually if updates occur.

6. Allow perspective views to be projected from the base view: currently only isometric views are possible.

ACAD13_tips_MD.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I like this command and want to start using it in production. Is there a way to control what layer the hidden lines land on? My plot set-up is color dependant, so I'd like the hidden lined to end up the color I want and the profile to be a heavier line weight. Right now they just match the shape.