Locating and Deleting Layers

Kemphas

So i run into the problem where I copy from one project to the next to save time, also from templates and what not. Well there isn't really a uniform nature to my drawings as i started doing them under necessity rather design...

So, i try to delete duplicate layers.. or Layer's and it continues to give me errors... stating every time:

The following layers cannot be deleted:

Layers 0 and Defpoints

The current layer

Layers containing objects

Xref-dependent layers

Well, its not Layer 0 or Def Points, Its not the current layer and i even deleted all pages except the one mandatory and CTRL+A - DEL... Zoom extents on model and do the same thing, and i cannot get rid of the layer....

So yeah? how do i get rid of the pesky layers? Can i type a command that changes all XXXX layer to XXX layer and can dump the ones into such as "0" layer and be unconcerned about it freeing it up to delete the unwanted un used layer?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kemphas

• Dadgad

• ReMark

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd suggest you use the PURGE command instead of manual deletion through the Layer Properties Manager. Some layers (i.e., 0, Defpoints) are there for a reason. :wink:

You can use LAYMRG and select the layers by name, and merge the "phantom layer" into Layer 0, or any other layer of your choosing, and after you have selected your target layer it will ask for confirmation of your layer merge intention. After it is done merging the selected layer into the target layer it will delete the offending layer.

You can use brute force on the pesky ones. The Layer Delete command. But be forewarned...it will delete the layers even if they have objects on them. Be careful what you wish for.

I have had on a number of occasions layers which I could not delete any other way than with the LAYMRG command, not by purging nor by the layer delete function. Perhaps if i had tried the -PURGE option at the command line I might have been able to. I thought that you couldn't delete layers which were in use? I usually just use the right click shortcut command for delete in the layer properties manager though. As a last resort? All else has failed? LAYMRG.

Using the layer merge command does not get rid of the object(s) that are preventing you from deleting the layer. It's just a work around in this situation. Not a solution.

From Lynn Allen's blog of August, 2005.

"The awesome Express Tool LAYDEL will come to your rescue. Of course you've installed the Express Tools - you'll find Delete Layer under the Layer sub-menu of the Express Tools. This command does not care what is on the layer - it is happy to vanish it into oblivion. Even if that layer is referenced in a block definition, LAYDEL is smart enough to open that block definition, remove the layer from the block, and then delete the layer - now that is power! But remember...where there is power - there is Danger! So be careful what you ask for...Since the layer doesn't have to be empty to be removed with LAYDEL - your drawing could definitely incur some damage if you aren't paying attention."

you can use brute force on the pesky ones. The layer delete command. But be forewarned...it will delete the layers even if they have objects on them. Be careful what you wish for.

ctrl+z = friend

Purge worked for the majority of my layers..

Nother questions related to layers. i have 2010LT, how do i print to PDF without printing the layers with it and colors? I have used CutePDF (freeware pdf printing software for anything you can print)

I also want to get rid of the pdf's side bar that allows you to see what the layers are and turn them on / off.

If i print simply monochrome it will shade the colors into grey's so i dont think thats what i want.. i want 1 color for the program and i want it to simply print BLACK... without having to go in and change all the colors to the layers every time.

You can use LAYMRG and select the layers by name, and merge the "phantom layer" into Layer 0, or any other layer of your choosing, and after you have selected your target layer it will ask for confirmation of your layer merge intention. After it is done merging the selected layer into the target layer it will delete the offending layer.

Aweosome!!it works....thank you so much!!

Aweosome!!it works....thank you so much!!

Yeah the layer is gone but do you know what was on that layer? If not, then you are just covering up what was keeping you from deleting/purging that layer.

The best way is to use "Layer Translator".

Import the same drawing in the "Translate Box". Then you translate the layer "to delete" with de layer "you want to save". It always works even with Xref-dependent layers.

I also want to get rid of the pdf's side bar that allows you to see what the layers are and turn them on / off.

If i print simply monochrome it will shade the colors into grey's so i dont think thats what i want.. i want 1 color for the program and i want it to simply print BLACK... without having to go in and change all the colors to the layers every time.

Kemphas,

This is a full AutoCAD, but I'm pretty sure the same will aplly in LT. Open your plot dialogue, select the DWG to PDF plotter. Next to it, you will find a 'Configure' Button. That will take you to the "plotter configuration editor" dialogue. Select Custom Properties in the top area and the Custom Proerties Button will appear at the bottom. Selecting this will open the DWG to PDF Properties Dialogue wherein you will find the "Include Layer Information" checkbox - uncheck it and Bob's yer Uncle...

Plotting.jpg

Yeah the layer is gone but do you know what was on that layer? If not, then you are just covering up what was keeping you from deleting/purging that layer.

Yup...i did try to find them out...but failed ....there was nothing in the layer when i isolated it and ctrl+a....the file doesn have any xrefs either...any suggestions on where they could be hiding....??

Yup...i did try to find them out...but failed ....there was nothing in the layer when i isolated it and ctrl+a....the file doesn have any xrefs either...any suggestions on where they could be hiding....??

Possibly empty text objects, or zero length lines. if so, then the -PURGE entered at the commandline might be useful, or using the AUDIT > (Y) command, followed by a purge, sometimes new stuff turns up.