Grouping

TolaSkamp

Hope someone can be so kind as to help me.

I am trying to get back familiar with AutoCAD, I haven't used AutoCAD in like 7 years. The version I am trying to use is AutoCAD 2005.

I am trying to group objects, so I can just click the object and move the whole object (instead of having to highlight

each individual pieces).

I tried typing GROUP command but it is asking me to name it. I remember it was very simple and I did not have to name anything.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

In the scheme of things is assigning a group name such a big problem? Might I suggest you use the name of "A"? Next group can be "B" and so on.

You can use this macro created by forum member SEANT to create a Group.

^C^C-Group;c;*;;\

I would use a BLOCK instead. That way if you have multiple references you can edit all instances at once. Plus you have much more control on Layering, Colors, Plot Settings, etc.

Simply type BLOCK to create a Block based object. Should be self explanatory. :)

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I can just name them with simple names like you suggested ReMark, thanks. But its just that I used to do it without having to name them before (it may have been an AutoCAD LT version I used in the past) and I just wanted to use that method again.

Thanks StykFacE, yes BLOCK is more of what I was looking for. Is there a way to do BLOCK without having to be naming each time?

Thanks again.

Right-click in an empty part of your drawing and from the Shortcut menu choose the COPY command. Copy your objects. Then right-click again and choose "Paste as a Block". When you do it this way there is no naming involved. AutoCAD treats this as an anonymous block and will assign a name to it that looks like this: "A$C523F7416".

There is a downside to this method though. What if you want to use the block again but in another drawing. Would you know what it was named and where to find it?

I have never had (from version R14 to 2007) any problem with group command with just typing G+Enter on command line. Dialog box is still the same as it was in R14. Just make sure that your "filedia" is set to 1.