Some simple questions

ssartor

1. How does the stretch command work? I'm trying to scale an object solely in the Y-direction. Is making a block out of all the objects I want to scale the only way to do this?

2. I have a few blocks that I want to make icons for so that I can just click them from the ribbon. Is this possible?

3. How can I set text defaults? i.e. I'm inserting a lot of multi-line text and I always want to justify it MC (middle center) but the default is TL I believe, is there anyway to change this?

Thanks

1. How does the stretch command work? I'm trying to scale an object solely in the Y-direction. Is making a block out of all the objects I want to scale the only way to do this?
It depends on the object. A rectangle for instance can be stretched in the Y direction very easily, whereas a polygon will not stretch accordingly. Making a block is definitely one of the easiest ways to stretch/scale something in a single axis. I know there are LISP routines that are floating around that expedite this function very effectively.

2. I have a few blocks that I want to make icons for so that I can just click them from the ribbon. Is this possible?
Look into using Tool Palettes instead. This will do everything you are asking in this particular request. They are a vital part of any designer's needs for block repository and customization needs.

3. How can I set text defaults? i.e. I'm inserting a lot of multi-line text and I always want to justify it MC (middle center) but the default is TL I believe, is there anyway to change this?
Sure. First you'll want to get familiar with the Tool Palettes like I noted above. This way you can create a Block from a MTEXT object, which basically saves the settings. Using Tool Palettes you can access this MTEXT object to quickly insert it into your drawing, without any need for adjustments.

If you can register with Autodesk University, do that. Look up the Archived lessons, and search for Tool Palettes. I learned from the one by Mike Murphy, he's pretty good!