Layer States in Paperspace Viewport don't save.

lab

I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm having in my plot files. The way our office sets up our drawings is that we have a set of base files (which is where we do all our plans and details, etc), and then those drawings get xrefed into a different files located in a "plot" folder that that has our titleblock and viewports of the xrefed base files.

The problem is that the plot files have started to NOT save any of my layer states that are associated with the base files. For example, I have a base floor plan that has demolition, construction, RCP layer states that are toggled with LMAN. But if I open the plot file for the RCP and set up the viewports so only the RCP layers are visible...the next time I open the drawing the RCP layer state is abandoned...now ALL the layers are on and I need to redo the viewport layer states...

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I've done this method of file organization on countless projects in the past and this is the first time this is happening. Any help is appreciated.

Nevermind...I just clicked on a "similar thread" where it suggested I use the visretain command, set to 1. After I did that the layer states saved just fine. Thanks!