Millimeter coordinates to meter coordinates?

I recieved a drawing in which the coordinate values are a thousand times too high; they are in millimeters and I need them in meters. I checked the settings of the drawing, and it clearly says that it´s in millimeters, but it doesn't help to change the setting or to copy the whole drawing into a new file with meter settings.

Does anyone know how I can change the coordinates to meters?

Are you saying its incorrectly scaled in model space or paper space ? if so below will fix it

The easiest way is by scaling all objects in the AutoCAD drawing. if you receive a drawing in mm, you can convert it to metres by selecting all the object's, and scale them by 0.001 (or 1/1000). To keep the drawing origin you use 0,0 as the base point.

Command: scale

Select objects: ALL

Specify base point: 0,0

Specify scale factor or [Copy/Reference]: 0.001

Edited by sparkyuk
added found solution i hope

If you use the drawing as an X-ref then you can change the scale when you insert the file - or by highlighting the X-ref and bringing up the PRoperties-window.

There is another option available too... Unfortunately, not everyone behaves themselves when they produce their drawings, so no promises here.

If the original drawing has its units set to millimeters and you set up your drawing units to metres, if you insert their drawing as a block, it should automatically resize it according to your units. After it is in there as a block, you can explode it to return it to individual objects you can work on.

This is a feature built in to AutoCAD and if someone like me in good old Metric Australia gets a block from dear old Imperial (well half) USA, I should be able to just insert it into my drawing and it will automatically scale up 25.4 times... Well that's all well intheory, but 99.9% of the time, these drawings show up as 'Unitless'... If it has the units set correctly, all should work fine and dandy

Thank you SO much, the scaling thing worked great! :D

Are you saying its incorrectly scaled in model space or paper space ? if so below will fix it

The easiest way is by scaling all objects in the AutoCAD drawing. if you receive a drawing in mm, you can convert it to metres by selecting all the object's, and scale them by 0.001 (or 1/1000). To keep the drawing origin you use 0,0 as the base point.

Command: scale

Select objects: ALL

Specify base point: 0,0

Specify scale factor or [Copy/Reference]: 0.001

• 4 years later...