Data Extraction Nested Blocks

mrthra

Apologies if this has been posted already - been searching everywhere for an answer to this one!

Here is the problem with the process put simply:

1. Start with a new drawing
  2. Drawn a rectangle.
  3. Place a block which has an attribute with a number at each corner. ie. 1-4.
  4. Convert all objects into one single block. (the attributes become nested).

If you use data extraction and retrieve the attribute number, position X and position Y, and output to a table the information displayed is correct. HOWEVER, if you rotate the block and update the link the coordinates become incorrect? This seems to be an issue with nested blocks?

From what I can see it takes the x y coordinates of the un - nested block???

Can you post a drawing with what you are trying to do and the problem?

From what I can see it takes the x y coordinates of the un - nested block???

Can you post a drawing with what you are trying to do and the problem?

Its not quite what i am wanting to do, also is there an explaination as to why the nested block coordinates are wrong?! :)

I have shown below an example of what i am trying to convey. Its a drawing of a house and there will be lots of these (as blocks) over a single drawing (they are not always lovely simple rectangles! To enable the contractor to build the houses, he needs the coordinates of the outline.

I dont want to run ID on every point and copy paste to a table, the easiest way i can see to do this is to data extract the coordiantes from a block on each corner. This way when a house block moves or is changed, the tables will update themselves. I have also shown a typical layout of house blocks to show what i am trying to acheive.

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Can you give us the TOP drawing as a DWG to see how you have constructed the block and maybe another dwg with the block right and wrong with the wrong coordinates.

Just examples so we can solve the problem.

• 4 months later...

You will see from the following dwg attachment that i have created 3 blocks with nested attributes in each of them.

Run the data extraction on each and produce tables, similar to the exploded versions on screen. If you rotate the block and update the table, the coordinates are completely wrong!!????

Coordinates example.dwg

Can you give us the TOP drawing as a DWG to see how you have constructed the block and maybe another dwg with the block right and wrong with the wrong coordinates.

Just examples so we can solve the problem.