Copy layers from one drawing to another drawing

Amerishaq

Hello all

Is there a way to copy layers and all the objects associated with it from one drawing to another?

For ex: I am trying to copy office numbers and names (on one layer) from one drawing to another furniture plan drawing. Is there a way to import that layer and all the objects (the office numbers and names in this case) instead of copy/paste each object?

Hope this makes sense. Looking forward to any suggestions.

Thank you

I don't know if this is the most efficient way, but I wouls jsut turn off all the layers I dont want, select everything on the desired layers and copy/past that way. If you need a reference point to paste with I typically copy an object that is in both drawing (in your case a wall or something similar).Or you can simply make sure you have a common origin point.

I may have miunderstood your question, and if I didnt there is probably a better way of doing this that one of the more experienced members know.

explore the filter command, it is your friend, you should be able to filter out all the objects on a layer and copy them to your clip board to be pasted into another drawing.

Thank Mike, but I have too many layers. I was hoping to find a better way :-)

Daniel: Is there a specific option on the layer filter command? I cannot figure out how to copy all the objects, I mean I don't see an option where it lets you do that.

Thank you guys.

you'll need to create your filter which can consist of just one layer or multiples or even filter out other data if you need, such as circles ... once you have your filter added to the list, select it and apply it, it will then show the filtered entities in a dashed format, you should be able to then copy it to the clip board, if you botch that like i often do its easy enough to get it all re selected as its your prevoius selection set at that point.

Use the LAYISO command (probably an express tools command) and only the layer picked will be left thawed. Be sure to hit Settings after starting the command to set to freeze.

Well the OP can use DC to copy the layers and the copy/paste feature to copy the objects. Also known as the Watusi Two-Step. LOL

Tony Tanzillo says....

"COPY/PASTE is just a fancy way to do WBLOCK/INSERT."

• 3 weeks later...

a trick is needed ;) try to freez all layer except the one u need to copy, >> hold Ctrl+A (select all) >> hold Ctrl+C >> go to the target model/layout and paste it (hold Ctrl+V) :thumbsup:, tell me if u find another better trick :)

• 2 weeks later...

This might be just what you need for this situation.

Try using SSX command. Once you type in the command press Enter one more time to see the filter options. Once you have utilized this command to make your selection then use copy (Ctrl+C) then enter P (for previous). In the drawing you want to copy to; use the command PASTEORIG to paste the copied entities to the original coordinates.