AutoCad Civil 3D- Topography, Polylines Mesh, Points extraction

matt27

Hi,

I've been given some Topography thats currently a vanilla Autocad file, I've been asked to see if I can extract the points from this to produce a pdms model!

I've found a nice little application that will create the pdms bit, however it uses a macro that needs to extract the points from the topography equally and evenly. So for example I have a plot 100m squared, the program needs me to split this up into a grid say 10x10 then be able to select a number of points within each grid! say 10x10 again. Anyone know of a way to do this in AutoCad or AutoCad Civil?

I'v managed to get my hands on Autocad Civil 3D 2012 (trial version never used it before) and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to place a "polylines mesh (square)" over my topography and if I can do this, will it allow me to extract just the info I need? a picture came with the PDMS stuff so I'll attach it to see if anyone can tell me how to achieve the same thing and if it will allow a point by point check.

Many Thanks

TOPO_CIVIL.jpg

• 4 years later...
I've moved your question to the Civil 3D section. ;)

Hi,

Can you please provide the thread for this post under Civil 3D Section. Thnx

Just curious, if you go to annotate then add labels for the feature pick surface and for label type choose spot elevation on grid, you can get points spaced out the way you need them I believe. Not sure if this helps.

If you're wanting points on a grid... Just go to Home Ribbon Tab, Create Ground Data Ribbon Panel, Points dropdown, Create Points - Surface MenuItem, On Grid MenuItem... Or use the CREATEPOINTONGRID Command.

However, as I understand it, that requirement just came from the 'macro' the OP was attempting to use... if you actually want the point at the surface face vertices, simply give this a read:

https://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/extracting-points-from-a-surface/

Cheers

BlackBox, I went to the link you supplied. I found it to be very helpful. The only issue that I had was the OP stated that "the program needs me to split this up into a grid say 10x10" I was not able to get the points to be on a grid

BlackBox, I went to the link you supplied. I found it to be very helpful. The only issue that I had was the OP stated that "the program needs me to split this up into a grid say 10x10" I was not able to get the points to be on a grid

I'm glad you found it useful, MillerMG.

Unless I am mistaken, and I'm fully prepared to be wrong -The OP found an application who's dependent macro requires the surface be split up into smaller, adjacent, surface grids... From which, it extracts points on a grid, within each grid surface (if that makes sense?).

Civil 3D provides a means by which to extract surface points, as that linked thread suggests, which I *believe* would be preferable to extracting points on a grid (which was only a requirement of the found application's dependent macro), however, if that is really what the OP is after, that can be done using the steps I list above.

All of which is available within Civil 3D OOTB, and needs no 3rd party application.

Cheers

After reading this, I really hope I didn't come across as saying you were wrong in any way. I trying to state that I was unable to get the points on a grid but after your post I believe I had it wrong from the get go haha.

BlackBox & MillerMG,

Thanks for the replies & the links provided. However, the points extracted are from the contours. Actually we would require the points at the intersections of the grid. The TIN surface displayed as grid and the points at grid intersections. Please refer to the attached image.

Many Thanks

C3DGrid.jpg