Linetype text height

paulsm11

hi, what im trying to do is make my own linetype for specific jobs, ie a number of different lines named different things. so using the acad.lin file i have altered it and reloaded it but all my text doesnt look big enough or too big, i am using different drawings etc so i could be on a 1:100 or 1:50 etc, i would draw a polyline and it would be 70mm thick, the line obviously changes but the text height doesnt, any help?

Try making it annotative, that would have an paper text height which is set and the paper text height is variable, according to the drawing scale.

here is a tutorial:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ff1bb1a0510dab2fb04a-7f60.htm,topicNumber=d0e110320

no problem, it may take a bit of trial and error to get a feel for adjusting the drawings ltscale but it should get you you where you need to be, welcome to CADtutor :)

thanks again, maybe using this quite alot, ive done 3 courses at uni/college on it and about 100hrs or so so far but mainly easy stuff!

its looking like a fair few trial and errors!

so here i go with a new drawingg, its at 1:50@A0 so i draw a polyline and it has a global width of 70 i add in my linetype and i cant see the text at all!

then if i change the ltscale it goes silly!

heres my .lin addon

*ELEC,ELEC ----E----E----E----E----E----E--

A,.5,-.2,["ELEC",STANDARD,S=.1,U=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.2

ive just copied and altered the text

Look into your "Standard" text style in the drawing. If the height is set to anything other than zero, it will throw off the scaling.

The linetype code is not calling a font, it's calling a text style, so make sure the text style it calls up is good. I always leave Standard as it is just because the acad.lin uses it. I think my templates have Standard set to height 0 with Simplex font.

The linetype code is not calling a font, it's calling a text style, so make sure the text style it calls up is good.

More specifically, the letters come from a shape file. If you want your line to match the sample, the shape you specify should be "E" and not "ELEC" (in the definition not the description).

More specifically, the letters come from a shape file. If you want your line to match the sample, the shape you specify should be "E" and not "ELEC" (in the definition not the description).

Like this......

*ELEC,ELEC ----E----E----E----E----E----E--
A,.5,-.2,["E",STANDARD,S=.1,U=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.2

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31758[/ATTACH]

well it looks like ive sorted it now using all your help, attached a screenshot to show you, not sure if the right way but i got what i want, the text height was at 250 as that is what all the drawings are done in! so ive altered the linetype scale to 1000 and it gave me what i got. et voila!!

thanks all for your quick and very helpful answers!