DWG file is currently in use or is read-only

uhcafigdc

Using AutoCAD LT 2006 and ADT 2007

Dedicated in-house file server on the LAN.

Save a drawing, and close AutoCAD.

Open drawing on another computer, and it says file is in use, and asks if I would like to open as read-only.

The problem is consistent, and happens even if I wait a few minutes to open the file after closing it on the other computer. :ouch:

Does the second user have write-access to the server location?

What prompts do you receive (if any), when you reopen said drawing?

Does the directory where this drawing is saved still have the temporary/lock files (i.e., .DWL, .DWL2, etc.)?

Does the second user have write-access to the server location?

Yes.

What prompts do you receive (if any), when you reopen said drawing?

"Drawing.DWG is currently in use or is read-only. Would you like to open the drawing read-only?"

Does the directory where this drawing is saved still have the temporary/lock files (i.e., .DWL, .DWL2, etc.)?

No. There are no files in the directory other than the .dwg and .bak files.

I read this, and it suggests that the problem must be due to slow network and server speeds. I am using a dedicated file server which is very fast, on the same LAN and subnet as the workstations. The file server does not have any virus scanning software installed on it.

we've expereienced this intermittenly, are you on windows 7?

we've been able to get past this by exiting autocad completely and then opening the file.

we've expereienced this intermittenly, are you on windows 7

Windows XP Home

we've been able to get past this by exiting autocad completely and then opening the file.

I just tried this, and it did not work.

Edit: It looks like its just this one station. This station gives this error when opening many different drawings. Other stations will open the same drawings without a problem.

FWIW - We've been on Windows 7 64-Bit for +/-6 months without experiencing this issue even once.

I'm actually still on xp but most of my co-workers have a 32 bit windows 7 installation I believe, they've all gotten the message and so have I, I mainly bring it up because its been users with windows 7 that are causeing this lock up after exiting the file, not the users still on xp like myself. plus, if for no other reason than to rule it out if nothing more as it seems no one really has an awser for this quirk.

Windows XP Home

I just tried this, and it did not work.

that rules out my thoery lol, not sure why our work around isnt working for you either.

Windows 7 is not the cause for a Windows 7 installation of AutoCAD failing to properly close the drawings... The AutoCAD installation is.

As I said, we've been using Windows 7 64-Bit for +/-6 months... We were the first to make the switch... All other groups (with whom we work daily) are/were still on Windows XP 32-Bit. At no time since we've began our migration to Windows 7 has this error message been received (unless someone was actually IN said drawing of course LoL). Again, this is just our situation.

IMO - Something in the OP's environment is the cause, perhaps a customization, etc. given that it (the issue) is being experienced by multiple users. Perhaps a test of the 'vanilla' profile, and or a test PC can be setup with an OOTB install. Just saying.

hhmm, since we are on a network and he's on a lan I don't see these as culprits either, uhcafigdc, do you guys run mcaffee on your machines locally?

We run VIPRE Enterprise which scans only local drives, which do not contain the drawing files.

I have narrowed the problem down to one workstation, which gives the error when opening almost any drawing file. Other workstations are able to open the same files just fine.

Edit: Reinstalling AutoCAD on this machine seems to have solved the problem.

Edited by uhcafigdc