Converting Illustrator files to DXF/DWG for laser cut. Complete noob here.

Grinning Maniac

Hi there. I run an Etsy store and I'm looking to start offering laser cut pendants and such. Laser cutters require AutoCAD files, and I have no idea how to use any of the AutoCAD software (I intend to learn, eventually) but I heard you can take Illustrator files and convert them into the necessary formats. I have experience with Illustrator so I thought that was brilliant.

I took my Photoshop sketch and brought it into Illustrator and traced all the lines on one layer using the Pen tool. It's all straight lines. I temporarily deleted the layer with JPG artwork, then chose the Export option and selected dxf.

I didn't change any of the default options, so AutoCAD version was set at 2000/LT2000, colors set at 256, and raster file format was left at BMP. The "Export Selected Art", "Alter Paths for Appearance", and "Outline Text" options were all left unchecked.

Upon sending the file to my laser guy, he said that when opening it, there were no entities. I don't know what I did wrong. I just exported it as a DWG as well and sent that to him. Don't know if that will work. But what am I missing here?

Appreciate any help.

:lol:

Hahaha! Thanks, I'll let him know. ;)

Unrelated question; Is it true that by changing the color of the lines in the Illustrator/CAD file you can determine the cutting order? I'm thinking that might be useful for future pieces I have planned out that are more intricate. Cut out the tiny internal sections first, then the outside..so the piece doesn't skate around...if that's something that happens. I have no idea.

Thanks again.

:lol:

Hahaha! Thanks, I'll let him know. ;)

Unrelated question; Is it true that by changing the color of the lines in the Illustrator/CAD file you can determine the cutting order? I'm thinking that might be useful for future pieces I have planned out that are more intricate. Cut out the tiny internal sections first, then the outside..so the piece doesn't skate around...if that's something that happens. I have no idea.

Thanks again.

False: Colors are not what is used, layers are, to distinguish cutting order, depth, etc. What you heard might be that someone uses colors to manually separate the cutting order. I've had some experience with a cutter but I'm no pro so I could be wrong.

Furthermore, you really need to just drop Illustrator and use a CAD app. Instead of using AutoCAD, which costs a ridiculous amount of money, just use a freebie alternative, like DraftSight. Link: http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/

This way you can operate directly in a CAD program in the native DWG file format.

Sure there is. First off, you could have answered your own question from the cutting company who thought there wasn't anything in the file. Also, you can only get so far from using another software to circumvent your main goals - there will be problems you'll have to work out eventually and Illustrator is simply a workaround, not a program that can handle troubleshooting.

But, to each his own. 8)

Ok, I downloaded the QuickStart guide and I'm going to go through it eventually. But I'm curious...even though right now I'm just doing simple pendants, .what sort of advantages would a program like this give me... over being lazy and doing the cut lines in Illustrator heh? You mentioned being able to determine cut order and depth and that sounds pretty cool. Anything else?

I see, I see.

Yeah, I'm bootlegging this whole operation at the moment. Putting it together with chewing gum and string. Unrelated but I used to keep my shipping and financial information on lined notebook paper. Now I have Excel spreadsheets with charts and graphs. I eventually figure things out. :P

That's good. I remember when I first started "my own thing". Now I have a CPA, a Tax ID#, a complete business financial software, invoicing procedures, accounts payable/receivable, website, etc. I've came a long way that's for sure. It takes a lot of time and effort to get things rolling smoothly.

8)

• 2 years later...

This is an old post, but because it's search engine friendly, I'm adding the answer. Your laser operator is using some version similar to LaserCut 5.2 which does in fact use color mapping to separate cuts into the order you desire, it also allows you to put in different power and speed settings for each color. For example, if you have a bunch of tight geometry that creates thermal transfer (warms up the material by proximity) then you want to move a little faster than you do cutting into cold material.

(S)he needs the file in DXF, which you can export from Illustrator. It's best to have your file in inches, choose v.2000 convert to mm (yes I know that sounds dumb, but it works) preserve appearance, export selected art only.

There are two reasons why your laser operator could have been drawing blanks. A. Your file was in groups. LaserCut doesn't see grouped items. B. You had the selected items only check box filled and you didn't have the artwork you were exporting selected.

Note: if you are color mapping for any reason, use an RGB color mode and use a CAD palette if you don't then it is all going to come up as black lines on LaserCut.

Very little of this is useful information if the operator is using some other laser software like RetinaEngrave, Trotec Job Control, or the Epilog Print Driver.

Also, the jpeg 256 etc.... If your file is set up correctly (even for ideal raster settings) it will be 100% vectors and not have any pixels to be exported in raster format.