Layer creation

ALoock

The title of this thread might be a little misleading. I am actually looking for a way to lock the ability of creating layers. I do not want all the users of the software to be able to create their own layers. I want to be the only one who can create layers and in that way I can control the standards.

Any ideas of what variable will control this function?

TIA

Are all your layers currently included in your template(s)?

Does AutoCAD 2009 have the Standards Checker feature or did that first appear in 2010?

I don't know any way to lock the layer creation capability, but you can set your system to alert you when new layers have been added to the drawing, and you have different available options for when you wish to be notified, which you will find in the settings on the LAYER PROPERTIES MANAGER (upper right hand corner).. Not what you are hoping for, I know. If you applied a DRAWING STANDARD to your drawing it would also alert you to any offending layers.

New Layer Notification POP UP.jpg

It sounds like a joke to me. If I was the employee and can't create layers then the excess will just go on layer 0 or some other layer and cause further problems.

If you can't trust your employees to create layers then I'd say there are bigger problems.

@ ReMark. I need to update my profile, we are currently using 2010. and I am using the standards checker. I was just hoping for a way to elemenate layers everywhere as this is always the biggest violation.

@ Dadgad: Thank you, that is already a handy function, will try it out.

Dink 87522, I am not going to go into a major discussion, I guess everyone can work how they prefer. But delivering drawings to clients and then having to fix all the layers took many working hours, if I can avoid that loss, I'll be the one smiling :)

Consider using the STANDARDS command.

Otherwise, you'll have to turn to programming to accomplish what it is that you want... Or, rather, preventing users from doing what it is that you don't want them to do.

It sounds like a joke to me. If I was the employee and can't create layers then the excess will just go on layer 0 or some other layer and cause further problems.

If you can't trust your employees to create layers then I'd say there are bigger problems.

Agreed. This is a training issue IMO... You know, outside of my 'standards command' bit (that seems reasonable). LoL

Dink 87522, I am not going to go into a major discussion, I guess everyone can work how they prefer. But delivering drawings to clients and then having to fix all the layers took many working hours, if I can avoid that loss, I'll be the one smiling :)

I forget where the thread is... but this was discussed previously, and I think one of the options was to programmatically delete all non-standard layers (and all entities on said layers) prior to close, so all work (on non-standard layers) was lost.... The feeling was that this wouldn't happen more than once. LoL

I forget where the thread is... but this was discussed previously, and I think one of the options was to programmatically delete all non-standard layers (and all entities on said layers) prior to close, so all work (on non-standard layers) was lost.... The feeling was that this wouldn't happen more than once. LoL

HAHAHA! I would LOVE to have that. Can only imagine how that day will go LOL