3DsMax 2012 Design precision modelling?

Deformat

That's not precision, that's just a different unit of measurement. But yes, you can build models using metric units.

Precision would be how many zero's after the decimal. 1.01 vs. 1.0001.

• 3 weeks later...

of course i have modeled to this precision......

4.000000000000000000000000000000000000........ ft CL/AB

since i just input an exact whole number im sure everyone has too :lol:

although to engineering standards only 3 decimal places are needed :glare:

• 1 month later...

Yeah it is a good question really. I can make items to a given precision, but with the absence of precision snaps it makes assembly very tricky. A lot of models I have seen have been done by eye and precision is pretty bad. Unless there is something I am missing. I do all modelling in Autocad and use 3D Max for rendering only really. Is there precision snaps for assembly in 3D Max and where do you find them?

there are many snaps, the ones i use are Vertex and midpoint ocasionally i use edge segment.

another type is the spinners snap tool which is good in some cases.

to use it you need to think what value you want to increase by with each click so if i want to increase value by 1 foot each click...

i will convert between generic units

1 foot = 30.48 Generic units, i unput 30.48 into the Snap Value in the capture it is "1" and then i leave and turn on spinner snap next to percent snap and angle snap.

but this is bad when working with primitives.. example.. if i click on a box's lenght segments it will increase by 30.48 units.. but this is not an issue if i click and drag, or if i input it manually.

lets say i want to move object

Capturesnap.PNG

The percent snap and Angle Snap is a must have. you can not call your self a 3ds max user if you dont got this setup to your preference.

i got mine set to 5 Deg snap. so if i rotate an object it will rotate by Values of 5, this is good because i can snap at perfect angles and it is simpler to use than having to input the X, Y or Z rotation manually below the screen.

Capture per snap.PNG

and i think what you are talking about are these snaps find them on the top of 3ds max tool bar

in the following screenshots the Snaps are turned ON because they are highlighted. the arrows represent what is brought up, to bring up the configuration right click on the snap tool you want to configure, i right clicked on the snaps togle which is the magnet with a 3 left side.

once the menu is brought up specify the snaps you want, i have only found the need to use the Midpoint and Vertex Snap.:glare:

Capture00.PNG

and it sounds like 3ds max is new to you or you do not have much experience so i pray to god that you have your units set up.. to set them up if they are not.. click on customize then units setup.

there instead of having it in generic units set it to u.s. Standard or metric, or specify your scale 8)

hoped this solved your issue.. if not give more details

Yeah thanks, it is not new to me, I only use it for rendering only. ALL modelling that I do is already completed in Autocad and Prosteel before I .FBX it into 3D Max for RENDERING. I don't use 3D Max for making any models or Assembly, I find it too slow and much faster in Autocad. Now I know that I can use snaps I will endeavor to use it maybe for this purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
so i enlightened you ... :D

your welcome i guess.8)

Sorry didn't mean to offend you. Just I have never needed it for that purpose. I like to render in 3D Max cause it does it a lot better than other packages. Modelling is ok but wireframe and meshes just don't float my boat. When they make a solid primitives 3D Max I will convert maybe. Solids are great and I have the option to convert them to meshes or nurbs automatically for manipulation. So I still like Autocad for the modelling phases, but that is my choice I guess and for some people it just doesn't turn their crank.