Problem with working model space v.s. paper space

Limoges_Designer

I have a problem understanding certain concepts in AutoCAD (version 2008): When I get house plans from most architects, I get all the plans incorporated on one tab, called "model". Then I see each individual tab with its own level or elevation view on it.

I can: make copies of these tabs and create new copies of those tabs. When I make changes on any of content in these tabs, it does not make any changes on "model" tab.

However, when I got this drawing, all I got was the model space. So I did Insert>Layout>new Layout, and I get a new tab that I can call whatever I want to. In order to change the contents of the tab, I need to go to "model space".

The isuue is this: when I make any changes on the contents of the tab, the same change happens in the "Model" tab.

What I tried: I tried to create a blank layout: doesn't work. What I was hoping to accomplish: to select a part of the drawing from the "model" tab, and then paste that part in the layout tab of my choice. I have not been able to do this since I was not able to make a blank layout tab.

Man, I hate when something as fundamental as this escapes me. Help! :)

You have a new layout. What you need to create is a VIEWPORT using the MVIEW command. The viewport will allow you, much like a window, to see the objects that are over in model space.

Viewports are assigned a scale. This scale is used by AutoCAD when it comes time to plot.

Viewports can be sized using their grips.

Viewports can be rotated, copied, moved and even deleted.

Viewports should go on their own layer and that layer should be set to "no print".

Layers in individual viewports can be frozen.

A viewport's display can be locked to prevent the scale from being changed.

You have a new layout. What you need to create is a VIEWPORT using the MVIEW command. The viewport will allow you, much like a window, to see the objects that are over in model space.

Viewports are assigned a scale. This scale is used by AutoCAD when it comes time to plot.

Viewports should go on their own layer and that layer should be set to "no print".

ReMark to the rescue. Well & succinctly stated. Probably good to add that there was no need to INSERT layout.

ReMark to the rescue. Well & succinctly stated. Probably good to add that there was no need to INSERT layout.

Re: Insert. Perhaps its just a matter of terminology.

I did that, and it created a tab called layout 1,. and all the contents of my model tab are in there. Now what I want to do is modify this layout without making any changes to the model layout.

Reason: I want to delete several items on the drawing and only have the walls left. then I want to superimpose all the layers (after a I modify the colours to each layer), so that I can see where the walls line up over each other.. But when I do this in the layout tabs, it also does the same thing into the original drawing in the model tab.

I just know that when I get my drawings from the other architects, they have each drawing on a separate tab with all the original drawings in the model space. And when I make changes to the contents on the individual tabs, those changes do not appear on the model tab.

I did that, and it created a tab called layout 1,. and all the contents of my model tab are in there. Now what I want to do is modify this layout without making any changes to the model layout.

Reason: I want to delete several items on the drawing and only have the walls left. then I want to superimpose all the layers (after a I modify the colours to each layer), so that I can see where the walls line up over each other.. But when I do this in the layout tabs, it also does the same thing into the original drawing in the model tab.

I just know that when I get my drawings from the other architects, they have each drawing on a separate tab with all the original drawings in the model space. And when I make changes to the contents on the individual tabs, those changes do not appear on the model tab.

You do not need to modify your model in modelspace. You can create duplicate layouts or viewports and use viewport freeze differently in each one, effectively turning off layers which you do not wish to see on each layout. You could also do it by using your VIEW MANAGER to create different LAYER STATES.

all the drawn inforation should be in the model, so it should not be possible to alter the layout info without the model info changing. if you want to compare drawings, have you considered xrefs?

instead of deleting info from your layout tabs, could you not just turn off the layers in that viewport? that would preserve the model perfectly, but show only the walls on the paper space layout.

I think that just about everything you want to do can be accomplished using the methods described previously.

It is not a good idea to use a layout to draw over something that actually exists in model space for the purposes of making changes. This could get very confusing later on down the road when the drawing is sent off to another company for them to use as a basis for their design work.

I think that just about everything you want to do can be accomplished using the methods described previously.

It is not a good idea to use a layout to draw over something that actually exists in model space for the purposes of making changes. This could get very confusing later on down the road when the drawing is sent off to another company for them to use as a basis for their design work.

You might want to set this in your OPTIONS, so that whenever you create a new layout it will include a viewport.

self generating viewport in layout.JPG

• 8 months later...

Forgot to say thanks to everyone that helped: I now have this concept figured out, and I'm battling another concept - this time in 3D, which I will post as a new thread. Once again, thanks! :)