Standard text is always too bold

KATIE0801

Hi, the text always appears bold both on screen and printed in my student work. My tutor has now commented as it detracts from the thickness of picture lines. So i need to figure out how to change this. I have never selected bold.

In the 2D diagram I am working on at the moment i am using single line text, dimension text and text within a table key on the side. It is all the same in terms of boldness. I have seen other students work with less bold text and i need mine to be like this.

I have selcted standard style, size 6.000 and it is not annotative. Is text affected by lineweight or layers?

Katie

That tells you what text styles are currently loaded into the drawing. You have to add a new one. Click on the NEW button on the right hand side.

BTW...all this is covered in your AutoCAD Help file. Not sure if you realize this or not.

Fromt the sounds of it you selecting a different text style, below that there should be a fontname drop down bar, try finding the mentioned text styles in there.

Ok - well the text appears to stay the same no matter if i create a style and choose arial and regular. Is there some sort of format box that i need to click to allow it to display varrying text styles like there is with lineweight?

Sorry, I should have added a step in my response.

Create a new text style in the text style window, name it whatever you would like (I would recommend calling it the font name). From there change your text height, and font name to whatever you need.

From there make sure all text you type has your new text style selected.

use command STYLE (i think) to bring up text style dialog box - is the 'font style' in the text style you are using set to regular or bold?

this is the box that governs all of the properties of all text in the drawing set to that style.

Ok done that, but the text is still very bold even when 'regular' is chosen. I need it to be less bold than the lineweight in the diagram? Is there a font name which is known to be quite faint? Btw i am selecting format, text style etc from the main model screen.

STYLE.PNG.

Katie: Follow my advice and use either SIMPLEX.shx or ROMANS.shx as the font. Do NOT use ARIAL

Make the changes then click on the Set Current button. Click Close when done.

I have used this and changed the text for both the table and the single lines. However, one last thing is that i cant seem to change the dimension text so that it is the same. I am using the dimension style manager and modifying it so that the same text style is used. However the text style is changing but the dreaded boldness is still there. I thought that using SIMPLEX.shx seemed to orderide there being any chance of boldness as it doesnt give you the option in the text style box??

Yes i have just checked that and the text style in the dimensions style box is right. The text for the dimensions looks right in the drawing in terms of style, it is just the boldness that is the problem? Ideas? :(

Ideas?

Can you post the drawing or a portion of the drawing with the offending text?

It's too bold when viewing it on your screen, when you print or both?