The 'DREADED' Ribbon!

ScribbleJ

I started this thread (more out of curiosity) to get a general idea and input from others about the Ribbon (and the contextual menu's) and your experiences with it. (

Do you like it, hate it, or love it?

Do you use it or have you resisted using it or just not interested?

If you do use it was the transition painful or did it go fairly well for you?

Have you noticed it causing any issues in performance?

Have you customized it? If so was it as difficult as you thought it would be?

I'm sure there are many other questions that could be asked but those are some that I thought of off the top to get things going. I'm guessing there is something to be learned about this subject that you just may not know.

Created my own custom Ribbon with about 40 of the commands I use the most often. It helps to cut down on the amount of clicking. Still a big user of command aliases.

No performance issues here.

For someone interested in what others' opinion are, the tread title seems a tidbit biased. :P LoL

My workspace(s) use a customized ribbon, but like ReMark mentions I too use the keyboard mostly. No performance issues using Land Desktop 2009, Civil 3D 2011/2012

This topic has been discussed many times. Most people do not like it, some people deal with it, and few love it. I've started to create a custom Ribbon and it's getting there but I still have a ways to go.

I tried the ribbon and it's OK but it did slow my computer down. Mind you Outlook slows my computer down these days so that isn't saying a lot. But finally they are buyng us almost CAD spec computers :shock:! I'm getting a Core i3 HP workstation, the tester one I had was pretty good for the 2d drawings I do but still lags occasionally. I might give the ribbon a go then as I'm also getting a bigger screen and keeping my current 19" monitor as screen space won't be so much of an issue.

At the moment to maximise screen space I have one line of drop downs for linetypes text styles etc. then use personalised quick access toolbar, command alias's and keyboard shortcut keys for macro's.

I use a lot of aliases as so many other people have mentioned. I love it sometimes and hate it at others. For general work flow its seem pretty good, but when your trying to find those specific, rarely used commands its a pain. I'm in the same boat as StykFacE, using Inventor, I absolutely LOVE the ribbon. I think it just comes down to how the programs function and were designed.

Im sure once i get on to a newer version of CAD for work and get used to the ribbon again I'll come to like it more and more (similar to the Office Suite from Microsoft).

I actually resisted it for the longest time in Inventor, but came to love it, and I am sure the same thing will happen to me with ACAD.

I'm in the same boat as StykFacE, using Inventor, I absolutely LOVE the ribbon. I think it just comes down to how the programs function and were designed.
I completely agree. AutoCAD just functions differently, which is why I can't completely adopt the Ribbon (just yet anyways), but with other programs it totally makes sense.

For those wanting screen real eastate, you can have the ribbon as Panel Titles. I get more used to the ribbon in AutoCAD as time goes by. I still can't get used to Microsoft Office with ribbons, I'll get there one day.

I'm not fond of ribbons because in most applications it adds an unnessicary step in the command process that slows me down, now if you could use a combination of ribbons, buttons and pull down along with your key commands that would be best but till then in 'nilla CAD with a couple important tool bars customised for my own needs and everything else is a key command for the most part.

This has been discussed many times...

Using Civil 3D requires the Ribbon (unless YOU volunteer the time to convert to / create toolbars, etc.) - that said the Ribbon is a Tool Palette (you knew that, right!?) and can be undocked, floating, anchored left or right, etc. Besides, you can customize your own ribbon panels and tabs... Since 2009, SP2 or SP3 (I forget which?). It's really not that different than toolbars.

Granted I'm a bit spoiled with out hardware setup, but still.

Edited by BlackBox

For someone interested in what others' opinion are, the tread title seems a tidbit biased. :P LoL

My workspace(s) use a customized ribbon, but like ReMark mentions I too use the keyboard mostly. No performance issues using Land Desktop 2009, Civil 3D 2011/2012

I was wondering if the title would come across that way. I chose the title because it seems to me that there is a lot of mixed thoughts about the ribbon. I personally love it but others seem to be as scared of it as getting a root canal done. Our CAD Coordinator created a deployment that keeps the toolbar present for those that don't want to use the ribbon.

I took to it like duck on a June bug. However considering the PC I have (which is a 64bit system but it seems to have a problem with Civil 3D 2011) it has some issues that are hard to deal with and it only seems to be Civil 3D it has problems with. No matter since I am getting a brand new Dell workstation with a solid state HD. I know it is this PC that has the issue because I have used another beefier PC to work on the same project and it has no issues at all and runs smoothly.

Civil 3D works great with the ribbon given the contextual menus make work-flow seamless.

Never say never.

Eventually AutoDesk programmers will nix toolbars and AutoCAD Classic workspace and we'll all be Ribbonites. Like Mennonites but with less religion. LOL

Nevah I says!!!!!

I mostly use the keyboard anyway!

Ooo a rebellious one she is!

ReMark is right though. Toolbars will become obsolete because AutoDesk will no longer support them. Its their covert way of making us comply. In an overt manner.

:?

(Did that make sense?)