slow selection of objects

Hi, Can anyone help me with this problem I am currently having? After a few hours of everything working perfectly, AutoCAD will suddenly decide to select objects slowly (for move, copy, trim, erase etc. commands). There will be a short time lag between picking a point on the screen and creating the selection box.

The problem is only rectified by switching off the pc and rebooting. Any suggestions gladly welcomed!:(

Thanks Mike. Unfortunately I have tried purge and audit and problem still persists. I've also tried cutting and pasting the drawing into a new drawing but no joy.

What are the specs on your computer?

Are you working off a network or is this a standalone system?

How large is the drawing file?

Is this a 2D or 3D drawing?

Are there xrefs involved?

Do you have a bloated scalelist?

Are you running an antivirus program that relies upon real time scanning of files?

Hi, Thanks for your interest; answers (as best I can) below:

What are the specs on your computer? Windows XP, 1.93GB

Are you working off a network or is this a standalone system? standalone

How large is the drawing file? doesn't just happen with one drawing but all drawings - each on average maybe 2 or 3 MB

Is this a 2D or 3D drawing? 2D

Are there xrefs involved? no

Do you have a bloated scalelist? sorry dont know what that is but happens on all drawings eventually after a time

Are you running an antivirus program that relies upon real time scanning of files? no

Your computer could be running low on resources given that you have 2GB RAM but it would depend on what else is running concurrently with AutoCAD in use.

Looks like 3GB recommended.

AutoCAD Architecture 2008 System Requirements

• Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ processor, 3 GHz or greater
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP (SP2 or later) or 32-bit versions of Vista™ operating system
  • 3 GB RAM
  • 3.1 GB free disk space
  • 1280x1024 monitor and display adapter capable of 32-bit color
  • 128 MB or greater, OpenGL®-capable workstation-class graphics card
  • MS Mouse—compliant pointing device
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 (SP1 or later)

What graphics card do you have?

64MB? Is that a typo?

Your system appears to be on life-support. I'd recommend either an upgrade or a replacement unless you just want to live with the problem.

The problem goes away after turning off and rebooting your computer because you have flushed the memory. As your system runs longer it uses memory but does not release it thus the reason for the slowdown. You could try using a small utility program to recapture the lost memory but that does not negate the fact that your computer really is not up to the task at hand.

A short term solution would be to add more memory, tweak the settings for virtual memory (i.e. - your swap file) and upgrade your graphics card provided you have the $$$ to do it.

Might reducing the INCREMENTAL SAVE PERCENTAGE be of any use, as it would reduce the file sizes by as much as say 1/3? Slower saves, but would that help minimize the demands on the system? Is your hardware acceleration turned off?

Edited by Dadgad

Anything might be of use at this point. The OP can flush memory using a utility called FreeRAM XP or another one called CleanMem. He might even try tweaking his virtual memory settings.