How do you line up viewports?

The Mad Cadder

Everything is on one layout/sheet.

Currently there are a total of 3 viewports in an L formation. The fourth viewport, will go in the upper right. But first, I have to get these aligned.

I think the viewports themselves are fine enough. The problems arise because the model is in Model space so, construction line (as far as I can tell) :? didn't want to snap to a line, (on the model,) in Paper space.(vertical or horizontal) So, I can only see the construction line, in one viewport at a time. Which means, the construction line is not visible in the viewport immediately to the left. So, I can't extend the construction line across both viewports, to to snap them to the construction line.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

TMC

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mad Cadder

• rkent

• Dadgad

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could use a preconfigured viewport layout from the viewport dialog box. which gives you lots of set ups to choose from. If you modify one and like it, then save it so you have it another time. Or just use the ALIGNSPACE command.

You can grab a line in MS with osnap and then osnap to another line in MS or PS, I do it all the time.

To make your next viewport copy the one adjacent and for the reference point just use @ twice, causing the new viewport to be created over the top of the existing, now click once on the boundary of the VP and pick a grip to the far side, dragging it over itself and then further to create the size you need. The VP's will be perfectly lined up.

You can grab a line in MS with osnap and then osnap to another line in MS or PS, I do it all the time.

To make your next viewport copy the one adjacent and for the reference point just use @ twice, causing the new viewport to be created over the top of the existing, now click once on the boundary of the VP and pick a grip to the far side, dragging it over itself and then further to create the size you need. The VP's will be perfectly lined up.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this tip? I'm not doing it right. I'm getting lost when I'm trying to copy the VP and using the @ twice. :(

When copying just pick the same place twice, or you can enter @ instead of snapping to something, it uses the last point picked, then enter @ again to use the same point again. So Copy, pick object, enter, at basepoint prompt "@" enter, displacement "@" enter enter.

Edited by rkent

Thanks for all the replies.

rkent: +1 I also would like some clarification.

Also, in my drawings, everything in the vports are all set up and ready to go. All that's left to do now, is add view titles and align the physical vports, and the models inside them. I don't know if that makes it tougher aligning them now, at this phase than at the outset.

Does anyone have any idea how to get that accomplished at this stage of the process?

Thanks.

TMC

This is the viewport display dialog box. If you have your VIEWSPACE toolbar open, you will find the button for this.

If I use this function of ACAD, can I re-size the size of the viewports to suit the needs of the object I'm creating?

Thanks.

TMC

When copying just pick the same place twice, or you can enter @ instead of snapping to something, it uses the last point picked, then enter @ again to use the same point again. So Copy, pick object, enter, at basepoint prompt "@" enter, displacement "@" enter enter.

Oh okay I understand now. Good tip. :)

There's a couple of simple functions you might be overlooking. I read all the posts really fast so somebody will straighten me out anyway. You can move the viewports the same as any object, and you can resize the viewports simply by selecting the viewport border and moving the corner grips. You can double click inside the viewports which will put you in modelspace on top of the view, there just pan the view around to get it lined up. WATCH OUT!! Zooming in there will change your view scale. To get back out of the view (modelspace) double click anywhere outside the viewports boarders.

Go ahead, you can tell me you already know all that and want a more techie method, I won't mind.

There's a couple of simple functions you might be overlooking. I read all the posts really fast so somebody will straighten me out anyway. You can move the viewports the same as any object, and you can resize the viewports simply by selecting the viewport border and moving the corner grips. You can double click inside the viewports which will put you in modelspace on top of the view, there just pan the view around to get it lined up. WATCH OUT!! Zooming in there will change your view scale. To get back out of the view (modelspace) double click anywhere outside the viewports boarders.

Go ahead, you can tell me you already know all that and want a more techie method, I won't mind.

Thanks for the reply.

The procedure you are talking about, while useful information, does not allow the user (in my experience) to compare the alignment of one viewport with another.

If I'm missing something, please let me know.

I guess I answered some other query.

Quite alright. It's useful information, I'm sure guests and members alike will find it informative.

Here's to hoping my question gets answered.. :beer:

Quite alright. It's useful information, I'm sure guests and members alike will find it informative.

Here's to hoping my question gets answered.. :beer:

I actually thought it was answered, can you restate your question for us?

Sure thing :) Thanks for the post, rkent.

I modeled the model. I have dimensioned the model (in model space) in all 3 viewports.

The challenge now is, lining up the model that's depicted in the viewports, both Horizontally and Vertically.

The problem is: a line or construction line (your choice) (based on my experience with this model; correct me if I'm wrong) is only visible in one active viewport at a time. So, that means it won't extend, or snap to, any other of viewports on the layout.

With that said, my question is: With those limitations, how do you get your model in line with the others horizontally and vertically? What are your strategies?

Additional Info: These viewports were made during the SOLVIEW process.

Thanks in advance,

TMC

I would say when lining up viewports that none of them should be active, so each viewport is just an object and can be moved around like any other, you can osnap to any geometry in the model while in the layout (no active viewport) and snap to anyother geometry in another viewport. Once you have the alignment you want then use the viewport grips to size accordingly.

And any object can be viewed in any viewport assuming the layers are not off/frozen per viewport.

oooohhh, I like that @twice I frequently copy items on top of themselves by using zero displacement, but that is much sweeter, thanks rkent.