Help on specs for a new system?

jacks

Talked to my cousin for a few mins yesterday. He is looking for me to build him a new system. Or possibly salvage what I can out of his now.

Only spoke to him for a few mins, so I am posting in here to find out what questions I need to be asking him. Since I don't or have every used autocad, have an idea of what I would purchase, but not 100% sure how to balance the costs between parts.

I guess the first thing I should ask is which of the autocad programs he uses. Didn't even realize that they have 57 thousand versions :) Do I need to ask anything more specifc in regards to that? As in does he do 3d modelling, video... Figured that "the" program would be one of the first to support the dual and quad cpus, but apparently not? You have to run multiple processes or the program a few times since won't use more than one cpu at once? Again I haven't really read much about autocad, so you must forgive my knowing nothing about it.

Not sure how much power needed from video card rendering vs overkill or just for gaming vs cpu speed? Solid state seems a bit expensive, as well as the small drive sizes, so assume sata 3 drive would be fine. 8gb of ram ?

Looking to spend $400-$500 if possible. Ive roughly priced out an i5-2500k for $200, $100 for a mobo, $35 ram, $125 for 1tb hd, $50 video card or not enough juice?

In Canada, so the prices here are a bit more expensive. Hoping to catch some boxing week sales.

Found a post from 2008, figured that thread would be dead by now. Is the only reason why I am posting a new one.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jacks

• tzframpton

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

First start by reading the links posted at the bottom of this page.

the links are to post on the same subject.

Then go to the AutoCAD General forum and open the Hardware & Operating systems forums at the top of the page

good advice there. check the minimum requirements at Auto Desk.

Min requirements are useless. Anything you buy now will meet them.

Would people respond to to threads that were previously dated last year?

Since anything older, people are talking about specs like gb of ram and 2ghz dual core cpu.

Didn't check under autocad general since figure there would be no subfourms.

CPU: Intel i5

Memory: 4GB of the fastest RAM you can afford

Hard drive: 640GB SATA II 7200 rpm

Graphics: a dedicated card if you can afford it would be preferable over a graphics chip

Wow, that's it? Sounds like the minimum specs from the official website. Figured that cad would be one of the most power hungry apps out there? So any $50 gpu would be fine? Really not thinking he wants to spend $200 on a dedicated (certified) card since it will be his home computer as well. In terms of ram, what I am seeing is it is all 1600mhz, cl9.

With a budget like that what the heck were you expecting?

Let me see if I can bump it up for you.

How about this?

Windows 7 either the Pro or Ultimate version (64-bit)

Intel i7 3930K processor (2nd generation)

RAM: 16GB of DDR3 PC3-1600 (2000MHz) RAM

OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD drive with a 2T SATA II 7200 rpm platter-style backup drive for all data files

nVidia Quadro-FX 5800

Edited by ReMark

Did you ever determine what version he is running and whether he will be doing 3D work or not? Also, does he use any other CAD, 3D modeling or graphics software or stand-alone rendering software? If he's doing 3D work, you will need something more substantial.

ReMark's last post would be a good choice for a 3D machine. But that's probably going to put you up in the $2,000 range.

Tell your friend to pop for another $200 and go to www.ibuypower.com where he can buy a brand new computer for $669 with these specs.

AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU

4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB graphics card

1TB SATA III hard drive

Did you ever determine what version he is running and whether he will be doing 3D work or not? Also, does he use any other CAD, 3D modeling or graphics software or stand-alone rendering software? If he's doing 3D work, you will need something more substantial.

ReMark's last post would be a good choice for a 3D machine. But that's probably going to put you up in the $2,000 range.

I had asked about if there were a range of programs within the cad software family initially. Since figured they were all some form of 3d modelling. Didn't know what kind of hardware range would be needed for x version of x application.

I had to reinstall his system last year, and pretty sure if wasn't a $2000 box a few years ago when he bought it. I would guess that he has been bringing home projects to work on his personal system. Something died and wants me to piece together something. Haven't seen it yet, so not sure if just needs a cpu,mobo and ram. Possibly a hard drive or what.

Thanks for the info. When I hear back, I'll ask what version, program and is there any 3d going on with it.

I was under the impression that the only usage for 64bit windows was that it can access more than 4g of ram. Also have to take into account that 32bit apps will have to be run in emulation mode. So assume they would slower. Or possibly run a dual boot system? Either way, I will be looking elsewhere to confirm of deny that particular info. Preferably something not to technical :)

Thanks. I'll get back when I get more information. For now, will assume any discreet graphics card will work and the $400 budget will do.

Just talked to him now, says he is using autocad inventor. Just starting to train on it now. Mentioned that so far just using a couple of parts. Not building (for example) an entire tractor :) Since it is a home system, he would also like to do some gaming as well. So debating on going 64 bit. Or might do a dual boot. I would assume the $400 system I listed above would be fine then? Thanks

$400 would be fine for my grandmother's computer. She likes to read her news on the Internet, play solitaire, shop at WalMart and email the grandkids.

Serious toys for serious boys.

Grandma only has govt pension, she can't afford such extravagance. She has to use the library computer just to check email. Solitaire she can play on her cell phone :)

Yep. And you thought she liked you for your personality. Silly.

Really, $400? That's all the dude is willing to cough up? And we're buying what components? RAM, video card and ?? Heck, he can drop more than half that amount on the video card with no problem.

i5 cpu = $200, $100 mobo, $25 4gb ram, $75 video card. Hoping to reuse old hd, psu, case... Got to get the last of boxing week sales :) Sorry, guess should have been more clear.

Ah, your thread title says "new system" when in fact it should have stated "system rebuild". Gotcha. 8)

Needs to be 8GB of RAM at minimum. Core i5, $100 mobo, $75 vid card will definitely suffice but don't expect a screamer of a system with those specs.