Metric Scale Question?

mateen

I don't work in metric so I don't know if that is a valid scale. My guess would be that it is not. That doesn't necessarily mean however that you can't use it but you might find that whoever you send the drawing to may not be pleased you used a non-standard scale.

No one send me that one drawing i make that one drawing.... thatswhy i am asking about that one scale.... ok finally i am changing scale. because i doubt also on this scale....

I don't know how it is in the electral business, but in construction we use the scales : 1:1, 1:2, 1:5, 1:10, 1:20, 1:50 etc.

But from steel engineers, i often get drawings withe scale 1:30 or 1:35.

Maybe your drawing fits at an 1:150 scale?

Personally, I don't think you need to have an "valid" scale for drawing, because there are often enough demension on the drawing, so you don't have to measure it on the drawing.

.... but i wanna ask you 1:160 is a valid scale or not....?

I think that you are asking the wrong question. All scales are valid, but only a few are conventional.

If you are sending a CAD drawing, then it does not matter, but if you are printing the drawing onto some medium (paper, film, etc.) then it is convention to use a scale which is available on scale rules.

This wickipedia article lists some conventional scales.

I was not confused about who made the drawing as I know full well that it was you mateen. You'll note that I clearly wrote "whoever you send the drawing to" might not be happy with an oddball scale. If you are going to use some non-conventional scale then maybe you should just put the letters "NTS" on the drawing. NTS = Not to Scale.

All scales may be valid but we all know full well that if we put a scale on a drawing someone is going to try to scale a dimension off the drawing. Now, put yourself in the shoes of the person on the other end (the person receiving the drawing). If the scale is non-standard / unconventional are you going to be pleased with that or not?

1:160 is definately not a normal scale you should try 1:200 or 1:100 if pushed you can get a scale rule with 1:300 so 1:150 would be useable but you have to have the odd scale rule, we have only one in our office but they are rare but they do exist. pretty sure its 1:100 200 300 400 500 750

A drawing is never to be scaled ie;Measured, this note used to be a standard line in any Titleblock,DO NOT SCALE DRAWING

Not sure whatever happened to that.

Scales were conventional because you had to use something to measure with when you were putting down pencil lines,and only so many different "scales" were available.

With Cad I've noticed,all to often, people use whatever scale makes the drawing fit the paper size most efficently. Seems to not have as many detractors as it should

I just just tried to access page 2 of this tread and got this error below ?

You don't have permission to access /forum/showthread.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

But now i have replied to this tread I can access it what is wrong ?

Ezrider714 wrote "A drawing is never to be scaled ie;Measured, this note used to be a standard line in any Titleblock,DO NOT SCALE DRAWING"

Thats all very well but in the UK very few drawings have measurements added and the old scale rule has to come out on site, so having an odd scale would really cause problems, so sticking to standard scales is the right thing to do.

Edited by daft vader
adding a comment

Hi all.... i waana ask you.... can i set my drawing in 1:160 metric scale..... because that one scale is not in CAD......... THANKS ADVANCE

Stick to the standard scales unless the drawing will not be needed to be used with a scale rule then it will not mattter what scale it is and the old note "DO NOT SCALE DRAWING" added to the drawing

I tend to stick with the notion that....if its not on my scale ruler, chances are anyone reading the drawing won't be able to easily decipher any sort of measurement from it... 1:2, 5 10 20 40 50 75 100 150 etc etc..... And whilst I agree that drawings shouldn't be scaled from when plotted (how many times have I seen people selecting 'Fit to paper' before plotting as they don't want to walk to the correct printer) we have recently banned the use of NTS unless absolutely necessary.. Working with building floor plans it keeps consistency across several drawings rather than them being marginally different depending on how they are fitted into a VP.

I would never rely on scaling from a paper copy but as a ball park measurement it is better than nothing...

:)I am much in agreement with using standard scales on drawing's

However it's like fighting a losing battle with most cad people that never had to use a drawing board

I just just tried to access page 2 of this tread and got this error below ?

You don't have permission to access /forum/showthread.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

But now i have replied to this tread I can access it what is wrong ?

I fixed it, there were ............ in the Title and that causes problems when accessing a second page. See THIS

Ezrider714 wrote "A drawing is never to be scaled ie;Measured, this note used to be a standard line in any Titleblock,DO NOT SCALE DRAWING"

Thats all very well but in the UK very few drawings have measurements added and the old scale rule has to come out on site, so having an odd scale would really cause problems, so sticking to standard scales is the right thing to do.

Then the drawing needs to be corrected and have the appropriate measurements added.