Need Help creating a tube with a 45 degree angle in autocad

karolbyrne

Hi there,

I'm trying to draw the following bench in Autocad but I'm getting bogged down trying to figure out how to create the following tube with an angle on it and how to achieve different shapes at the top of tube..Can anyone help me please.. I'd much appricate your comments..

bench.jpg

I think I would create either a face or a box at the right angle (use UCS > rotate to rotate the UCS around the correct axis) and the use the command SLICE to cut one part from the other.

Note that I don't do 3D-modelling so this is of the top of my head and way back from 7 years ago...

See this tutorial (it was written for 2007, but the process is still the same - only the interface has changed).

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf

If you run into trouble with the Sweep that ReMark suggested or the Slice that Tiger suggested - attach the dwg file of what you are able to complete and someone will help you get the rest of the way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32020[/ATTACH]

Centerline profile and sweep method.

No slicing, dicing or mincing.

I bow to the overlord that is The Terminator :bow:

No slicing,

I don't believe it. Attach the file here. In the real world that is a weldment of 3 parts. How are you getting 3 solids without Slice after Sweep?

Also, your image shows a single circle. How are you creating tube as shown in OP? (and as real world)

Not mincing this up, but by the time you reproduce the image the OP attached and perhaps a cutlist to really make this assembly I think a bit of slicing and dicing will be needed.

Yes, JDM, I can create a tube shape cut at a 45 degree angle without using the SLICE command. And I'm betting that you can too.

Unfortunately, the image that I posted does not show that and therefore does not meet the OP's needs. My apologies.

3D_Tube_45deg.jpg

To prove that a tube cut at a 45 deg angle at one end could be created without using the SLICE command. I created the above geometry then used the INTERFERE command, electing to retain the interfering objects by removing the checkmark in front of the box labeled Delete interference objects created on Close.

Would I ever use this method in the normal course of creating such an object? Short answer: No. But it was fun doing it all the same.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32071[/ATTACH]

To prove that a tube cut at a 45 deg angle at one end could be created without using the SLICE command. I created the above geometry then used the INTERFERE command, electing to retain the interfering objects by removing the checkmark in front of the box labeled Delete interference objects created on Close.

Would I ever use this method in the normal course of creating such an object? Short answer: No. But it was fun doing it all the same.

That was a pretty devious and creative way to get there, but all roads lead to Rome, eh? How about using the Subtract command? Or Lofting? How did we get started on this Sliceless Slice Jag?

I tried the LOFT command but did not have any success. SUBTRACT? Yes, it could be done that way simply by taking the magenta colored object I created, repositioning it relative to one end of the tube then issuing the command.

JDM took me to task regarding creating the tube shape with a 45 deg cut at one end. That's what triggered my response.

I tried that but was unable to get it to work. May have done something wrong although I have gotten that command to work on non-circular objects.

Only took a minute to do this. Taper Faces on Pipe. It may be easier to taper a solid round then subtract the inside at first. Takes practice. I could have used -45° and tapered the opposite direction.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32097[/ATTACH]

Just goes to prove the old adage about skinning cats doesn't it? Thanks. I'll give it another try.

I'm thinking more like ......OLD DOGS, new tricks (me included), and if the shoe fits .... Of course in reality I think we would all make a circle and rotate to suit, SLICE with Object, and get on with our day.

I couldn't even get the SOLID cylinder to taper, let alone a few different pipes, despite numerous attempts.

If you put 100 cad users in a room and give them the same problem to solve, you'll quite possibly get 100 different ways to solve it. Some are better than others, but at the end of the day, if it gets drawn and the product gets made, then that's all that matters.

For this problem, I would have used some version of subtracting an angled solid. I hardly ever use slice, and never fool with tapering a solid. Its just my own thinking processes but I know exactly what result i will get if I subtract one piece from another and I know that it will always be what I want.