Leave X/Y alone and move only Z?

IBBruin

I'm using a DXF drawing in my CNC program that uses all three axis. I've scaled the original drawing from 300" to about a 3"x5"". When when I save it as DXF, change it to gcode and run it in my CNC router, the Z depth is more than I want. I'd like to move Z closer to 0 without changing the XY. Can this be done?

I trained in R14 many many years ago so I probably already know my answer it's just tucked away behind too many other life experiences. Right now I'm using Autocad LT 2004 or 2006. I'm away from my CNC machine so I'm not really sure.

This file was posted as public domain so here it is.

scaled2-5deer.dxf

Edited by IBBruin

You can move everything with an absolute value easily in the Z direction. Select everything, initiate the MOVE command, click a point (anywhere, doesn't matter where) then type @0,0,-1 to move it negative 1 unit in the Z only, since X,Y are both zero values. Same thing for the other direction, to move everything in the positive by one unit, then type @0,0,1 and so on. This is the only way I would know how to do it in LT. If you had the full version you could easily change to a Front View, change the UCS, and move everything by adjusting all the entities without giving an absolute value, in other words "eye-balling it".

Excellent, thanks. Your explanation sounds so logical, I don't know WTH I didn't think of it. I'll check it out and post the results.

Just remember you are running LT and there is no support for 3D, however you can type and read a Z value. It might not work, I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly you can type a relative or absolute value for the Z axis.

The commands didn't give me an "invalid point" so I assume it's working. I'm trying to figure out how to move things around in the view command so I can check the depth. I told ya, it's been a long time.

Edited by IBBruin

So the VIEW command works in LT? If so, change it to the Front view to see it in an elevation view. If that works, type UCS and select V to align the UCS to the View, which will let you edit the Z freely.

Also, you can see if your items are moving in the Z direction if you type ID and select any point front any entity. The ID command gives you an X,Y,Z readout of a selected point that you pick. So repeating the command after you perform the MOVE command will confirm that it is working. Again, you are using LT so I am unsure if the ID command will work.

I'd try the following: Make it all into a block and then scale the block in the z direction only, then explode the block.

grrrr, why can't I remember this stuff

Why do I get the feeling I was in school learning AutoCad more years ago than most of you have been alive?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed. I just wish I had kept up with it. I'd give you whippersnappers a run for your money :P

Probably so. In 1996 I was 14 years old. But at 16 I was well into sneaking on my Dad's computer, finding myself opening AutoCAD LT 1998 creating things so I may be young but I've been familiar with AutoCAD for many years now. I'm 29 now.... got a wife, kiddo, career, debt free, side business, do gym after work, play hockey on Sundays after church.... so, I'm right there with the best of 'em. ;)

My grandfather retired in 1980 when he was 60 yrs old as an engineer in the aerospace industry using early versions of Catia, only to consult for the next 12 years into the 90's using AutoCAD R12 in his final days of work. He actually used to tell me a lot of cool things he used to do which are simple by today's terms but still fun when I was a youngin'.