How to draw a 2D Spring ?

Hi guys, firstly my apologies :o if i posted in the wrong section of the forum.

Can i ask how to draw a spring that is wound from 8mm diameter wire with an inside diameter of 22mm, the standard for a spring consist of one and a half turns at each end and the center lines throught each side. Springs are normally wound and then ground at each end to give a flat surface for accurate seating. (this is taken from part of a question)

It will be great if there are step by step guidelines for me to follow as i am still quite a newbie :( to autocad.

I am currently using autocad 2011.

Thanks alot :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• autocat

• Dadgad

• ReMark

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You will want to learn the line and trim commands along with offset and array commands. Tangent osnap will also be needed.

Any technical drafting textbook I have seen has a bit on springs (check the Fasteners chapter).

Go ahead and do what you are able to get done (even if not correct) and attach your dwg file here.

Could you not just use the HELIX command to create the spring in 3D then use the FLATTEN command to obtain the 2D view?

would seem easiest to do it as a solid and then do a solview and a soldraw.

You will want to learn the line and trim commands along with offset and array commands. Tangent osnap will also be needed.

Any technical drafting textbook I have seen has a bit on springs (check the Fasteners chapter).

Go ahead and do what you are able to get done (even if not correct) and attach your dwg file here.

Hi Sir, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately my autocad textbook doesn't have the chapter on springs:(

May i know inside diameter of 22mm is from which point to which?

Thanks

HI Daniel & ReMark thank you for the quick reply.. Although i have attended 6 lessons of autocad, i am still not that good ::cry: if you don't mind can you teach me how you guys do it in a simpler way? I am eager to learn all kinds of method to further improve my skills and knowledge in autocad.

Thanks.

Yes, you want to change to the 3D Modeling workspace.

On the Home tab > Draw panel click on the black arrow to the right of the word Draw. In the drop-down section you'll see an icon that looks like a spring/coil. Click on that to start the Helix command. Use the following (bold text) as your inputs....

Command: _Helix

Number of turns = 3.0000 Twist=CCW

Specify center point of base:

Specify base radius or [Diameter] : 3

Specify top radius or [Diameter] : 3

Specify helix height or [Axis endpoint/Turns/turn Height/tWist] : 12

When you're done come back here, tell us what you see, then we'll give you further instructions.

ok Remark thank you for all your replies, i need to hit sack as it is getting late. i will try to google myself on how to use the helix command and get back to you tomorrow if i encounter any problems. thanks.

Hi Sir, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately my autocad textbook doesn't have the chapter on springs:(

May i know inside diameter of 22mm is from which point to which?

You might check your library for a book like Gieseck, et al Technical Drafting.

The inside diameter (ID) is the largest cylinder that would fit through the center of the spring.

Springs.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32118[/ATTACH]

I'm sorry for the late reply. I have followed your steps and i think i only see a circle :oops:

You should go into a different perspective view, say isometric, as what you see is not always what you get. You may have gotten it right, just hard to tell from top view. Or you can use the ORBIT command to go into your 3D modelspace and take a little look around.

I just noticed you've got the viewcube displaying up in the right hand corner, go ahead and click on one of the corners and take a look.