How to draw a 2D Spring ?

There is? I figured you have that all taken care of in your next set of posts. Keep up the good work.

As my boss used to say, "I have nothing against work; I could watch you do it all day."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• autocat

• Dadgad

• ReMark

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So.................the next step is use the FLATSHOT command to generate a top and front view?

By the way is the dimension for the spring that i have created correct ?

a spring that is wound from 8mm diameter wire with an inside diameter of 22mm, the standard for a spring consist of one and a half turns at each end and the center lines throught each side. Springs are normally wound and then ground at each end to give a flat surface for accurate seating.

eeks where's the people...:cry:

Bad news, good news.

The bad news is, that it is very early in the morning in Connecticut.

The good news is that it is not too late here, and that YOUTUBE never closes.

Did you ever try to use FLATSHOT?

Don't even go to Youtube first, just enter FLATSHOT at the commandline, and take a shot.

Make sure you have saved your drawing before you start, so you have a fall-back in case you get too far afield, or forget how to use the UNDO command.

Let the games begin.

That's your advice? Just try FLATSHOT? No explanation? And here I thought you were doing so well.

I don't use FLATSHOT, and was just trying to light a fire. Put the ball in motion.

Happy to help, but hoping to see a bit of curiosity/gumption and a taste of experimentation.

Hey, this proves it your really are a BOT! Aren't most folks in your timezone sawing logs about now?

Thanks, I thought I was doing pretty well too.

Autocat, here are some suggestions for you .........

commandline entries are in CAPS.

FLATSHOT > enter

study the flatshot dialog box.

If you want to display the hidden lines, select another line type than continuous. You may want to designate a different color to be used for your hidden steel layer. I use color 11 for hidden lines, and linetype HIDDEN.

Click on the Create button.

Specify a basepoint,

then press Enter how ever many times it is, using the default options, don't select anything.

You should wind up with a pretty good orthographic view displaying both visible and hidden lines.

congratulations.

Don't stop now, you are just getting the hang of it!

flatshot step 1.JPG

I'm normally up around 3:30 a.m. EDST and on the road by 4:00 a.m. but this morning as I was backing down the driveway I realized I had a flat tire. I had some time to kill before triple-A arrived to save the day.

Please, continue on. I could watch you work all day. :)

One important point I'd like to make here. When you use FLATSHOT, AutoCAD will project the edges of your 3D object onto a plane parallel to the current viewing plane. So it is important to first set up the view you want before executing the FLATSHOT command.

One important point I'd like to make here. When you use FLATSHOT, AutoCAD will project the edges of your 3D object onto a plane parallel to the current viewing plane. So it is important to first set up the view you want before executing the FLATSHOT command.

A very good point. With Flatshot, what you see IS what you get (with the addition of hidden/obscured lines if you have chosen to show them).

Just when it was going to get interesting. Oh well...

Edited by Dadgad

Spin this. I did not know if the OP even knew how to change his UCS. You got to start from somewhere and I picked ground zero. Once he got past that I would have explained the next step. But you took over so here is where we are at.

Spin this. I did not know if the OP even knew how to change his UCS. You got to start from somewhere and I picked ground zero. Once he got past that I would have explained the next step. But you took over so here is where we are at.

I agree 100%, and the reference to spinning the helix was not meant to fault the approach. I was just trying to connect some dots for the OP, in terms of doors of perception (perspectives), if you will.

I scrupulously avoided muddying the flatshot waters by talking about setting up any additional views. You've got to stand up before you walk, and nobody ever learned to walk while sitting on the floor.

You have the patience of a robotic saint, and your largesse & depth of informedness are reasonably staggering. With the possible exception of the reluctance you show to using the SLICE command!