Mating a sphere to a helix spiral?

FRCmember

Hey everyone, quick question.

Im trying to create a system that will carry a ball up by spinning one rod with a spiral on it. In addition there are 2 other free spinning rods to form a triangle and hold the ball in place. So on the motor-spun rod, there are threads to lift the ball that are angled so as it spins it lifts up.

What im stuck on is getting the ball to lift as the threads spin. The ball has been mated to be tangent to all of the 3 rods to hold it in the triangle, but i cannot find a way for the sphere to follow the helix path. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Im running SolidWorks 2010 and am not aware of any service packs that have been added. Also, the model is very basic, so really i just need it to function properly. It is being used to try and convince the idea to the robot team.

You could use a larger "construction" helix and mate the "construction" helix to the origin of the ball then mate the origin of the ball to a plane. This assumes that the balls origin is in the center of the ball.

It would help to see a screen shot. Hope this helps.

FRC, typically when i run into situations like this I will run a motion study. This also allows you to see if the idea/design would actually work with the interactions you have. What version of 2010 do you have?

I have the Windows 32-bit student edition of Solidworks 2010.

No service packs or anything like that have been installed, because i was offered a disk to use for classwork while at home. I could not register the disk online to get downloads

Its okay, the student version is the full version with simulation. The 32bit part is going to drag a bit but you can still do the simulation stuff. I know ive done a step by step in this forum at one point for it.

This isnt exactly what you want but it might help understand some theory.

http://www.mymlcservices.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=306&video_id=274

In the first part of the video i make a surface as a path for the chain. This might be the option you need if you want to drag things around in the assembly. At the end of the video i run a motion study with the physical interactions between the chain links and sprockets driving the assembly.