Export Revit

jmerch

I'm not too familiar with Revit, I know just enough to get into a file and get what I need out of it. I know you can export to DWG, but it breaks up your objects into Polymesh faces. Is there a way to export a ductwork or piping plan for example, and be able to open it in ACAD and be able to hover over items and get the elevations in the hover data?

TIA!

Here's how with Revit MEP 2012....

Applications Icon > Export > Options > Export Setup DWG/DXF. Go to the Solids tab, make sure ACIS solids is checked and click OK. Now, make sure you're in a 3D view, then go to Export > CAD Formats > DWG Files. This will only create 3D Solids, not AEC Objects so you'll have to use traditional methods to get elevations. I suggest using the ID command and using your snap modes to find the edges of certain geometry.

Hmm, ok. That backfired on me. Tripled the filesize of when I just exported Polyfaces and like you said I'd have to use a different way to get the elevation. Sooooo......Now I'm going to try to figure out how to just tag the elevation in Revit and print that :)

That's one way, however, I just figured out how to modify the label family for this and show elevations in plan view that I can print :)

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it...someday I'll sit down and teach myself Revit but at this point it's not worth it for us.

...someday I'll sit down and teach myself Revit but at this point it's not worth it for us.
That's exactly what I used to say. That should not be the reason, trust me. Revit is not something you can just "pick up" so adopting it now is worth it, since if you try and use it when you need to, then you're gonna lose your shirt big time. :)

And I can't believe the Stars got rid of James Neal... he's been a beast for y'all this season.

The reason I say that about Revit is b/c I work for a contractor. It's a different party on this side. We don't need to 100% know Revit right now as we use a third party program for our 3D/prefab/coordination, etc. We have the technology to link Revit to CAD so right now I just muddle through it to get what I need. Me learning it would be for my own benefit and also to see if there's any advantages to it over what we currently do (though I've heard from a few respectable leads that Revit isn't ready for our end of the spectrum).

I've seen his stats, great player....Unfortunately I haven't had much time this season to watch the Guins...

The reason I say that about Revit is b/c I work for a contractor. It's a different party on this side. We don't need to 100% know Revit right now as we use a third party program for our 3D/prefab/coordination, etc. We have the technology to link Revit to CAD so right now I just muddle through it to get what I need. Me learning it would be for my own benefit and also to see if there's any advantages to it over what we currently do (though I've heard from a few respectable leads that Revit isn't ready for our end of the spectrum).
I worked for a mechanical contractor since 2006 using AutoCAD MEP (back when it was still called ABS 2007). I know all the excuses, trust me, lol.... I still place my stance from personal experience.

Oh c'mon, I didn't mean for it to be an excuse :) I'm not saying I DON'T want to learn it, it's just with the alotted time I have in a day doesn't allow for personal training right now. Especially when we don't see too many Revit models from engineers either. We used to use MEP for our pre-fab too until we moved to our new software. There's no point in jumping software all the time. I don't even know the software we have 100% yet and i've worked with it for over 2 years now.

Once I get to know Revit better, than i can see where the worth would be on our end. I don't like jumping on the wagon just b/c people (no one in particular) say Revit is the best and is the future and there will be no others. It's all about adaptability and interoperability which our programs offer to a point. If for now I can learn to navigate through revit and get data I need out of it, that will suffice rather than learning how to draw in it and learn the in depth settings since we're not going to draw in it.

I still appreciate any help, tips, etc. and am not trying to start a thread war, my typed thoughts sometimes come out worse than if we were just at a bar discussing it over beers :D

I was going to mention modifying the tag or loading an elevation tag and setting it to default, but it seems you found that already.

I'm with Styk...if you know Revit, you can get soo much more out of the drawings.

Even for your own benefit, it makes you more valuable to your company (and others looking).

Learn it.

-Edit-

We were typing at the same time. You beat me.

Oh c'mon, I didn't mean for it to be an excuse :) I'm not saying I DON'T want to learn it, it's just with the alotted time I have in a day doesn't allow for personal training right now. Especially when we don't see too many Revit models from engineers either. We used to use MEP for our pre-fab too until we moved to our new software. There's no point in jumping software all the time. I don't even know the software we have 100% yet and i've worked with it for over 2 years now.

Once I get to know Revit better, than i can see where the worth would be on our end. I don't like jumping on the wagon just b/c people (no one in particular) say Revit is the best and is the future and there will be no others. It's all about adaptability and interoperability which our programs offer to a point. If for now I can learn to navigate through revit and get data I need out of it, that will suffice rather than learning how to draw in it and learn the in depth settings since we're not going to draw in it.

I still appreciate any help, tips, etc. and am not trying to start a thread war, my typed thoughts sometimes come out worse than if we were just at a bar discussing it over beers :D

Yeah man no worries. In all of my comments, it's a positive push as always. And Revit MEP has a loooooong way to go for great fab drawings. This is where I believe AutoCAD MEP still wins due to the foundational AutoCAD nature for immense control over final output.

I agree, when I started getting into MEP to get it setup, it was fairly simple and understandable just b/c of the AutoCAD background. The software we use is still simple and understandable but more dedicated to the manufacturing side of it.

I agree, when I started getting into MEP to get it setup, it was fairly simple and understandable just b/c of the AutoCAD background. The software we use is still simple and understandable but more dedicated to the manufacturing side of it.
On the contrary, AutoCAD doesn't work anything like Revit. AutoCAD MEP somewhat does, but only because AutoCAD MEP stole it's ingenuity from Revit to begin with.