Xref Does Not Show Up

wings

I've inserted an external reference (as an attachment), but it does not show up in my drawing. I've checked all of the obvious things with regard to layers. I've never seen this before, but I'm sure that I will find that the answer is obvious.

Thanks.

Using release 2009

Don't know if 2009 version has it but check the XDWGFADECTL variable, also Zoom extents with all layers on.

I think you will find that 2009 does have it. This snip is taken from 2012 OPTIONS>DISPLAY.

If I am having a hard time finding an XREF in modelspace (against my black background), I will change the VISUAL STYLE to conceptual, which by virtue of the lighter background color often makes it leap right out at me. Or you can try using a 3D perspective, like an isometric angle or two, as the item XREFed may display a larger profile from another perspective.

After you zoom extents, concentrate your search on the perimeter, which is more than likely where you will find it, or perhaps you will find the name of the XREF, indicating that is has not been found for attachment.

Also, something one of the guys here did which embarrassed him quite a lot: He attached a 2010 version DWG using ACad 2008 and couldn't understand why it wasn't showing up. If you don't have a version of 2010 or later, then download the free DWG TrueView 2012 from AutoDesk. It allows you to convert DWGs to/from numerous versions.

Other things you might also try:

• Audit / Recover and purge the DWG you're trying to attach.
  • Does the DWG actually contain any objects? Does it perhaps contain only Overlays? Also only the Model Space of a DWG is attached/overlaid into another - nothing on PS wil be shown.
  • Ensure ALL layers (both the current DWG's as well as the XREF layers) are ON & Thawed.
  • Is the XRef XClipped?
  • Is the XRef listed as loaded in the XRef manager?
  • Is it possible to select the xref object using QSelect / Select All and then using the Properties Palette?

I tried all of the obvious things, most as noted above, and nothing worked. I ended up scraping the whole thing and starting over, and that worked. I always love wasting time on this stuff, but such is life.:roll:

• Does the DWG actually contain any objects? Does it perhaps contain only Overlays? Also only the Model Space of a DWG is attached/overlaid into another - nothing on PS wil be shown.

Maybe I'm not reading what you wrote correctly, but I attach modelspace created titlesheets into paperspace as xref's all of the time, and it works fine. I just did one this morning.

I tried all of the obvious things, most as noted above, and nothing worked. I ended up scraping the whole thing and starting over, and that worked. I always love wasting time on this stuff, but such is life.:roll:
Don't I know it!
Maybe I'm not reading what you wrote correctly, but I attach modelspace created titlesheets into paperspace as xref's all of the time, and it works fine. I just did one this morning.
I think we might be on different wave lengths. What I was trying to explain in that line is the following:

• If a DWG has no linework inside it, but only has Overlays, then attaching it into another will show nothing as overlays won't get nested.
  • If a DWG only contains linework in one or more of its tabs (but nothing in its MS), then attaching it will show nothing.

I'm with you on the MS-created title block, you can place an xref in Paper Space. I do the same here.

• 2 years later...

Yes- if everything in the XREF is XREF'ed from other files as overlays, they will not appear when you XREF that file.

This will happen if you are trying to reference a plot sheet - ie: a sheet that has no native modelspace objects and is essentially an amalgam of other files assembled for plotting purposes. Our office always keeps the two separate.

I think I saw somebody mention this above, but thought I'd reword it as it didn't click the first time I read through.

• 4 years later...

I'm aware this is a very late reply, I just had the same issue.

I figured out I had attached my xref in paper space.

Make sure you do it all in model space! Maybe this will help someone in the future.

• 11 months later...

With me it was an attached dwf file and i just renamed it like xxx.dwf to xxx..dwf (extra dot at the end ) and reattached it and it worked again.

Renaming the file back afterwards gave me the same glitch.

Hope this helps