Changing the Grain direction in wood finished surfaces??? Can it be done??

rhader

Hey Guys,

I am working on a Galley interior for an aircraft and when displaying the Grain direction Solidworks seems to always choose the direction 'Automatically' and it isnt necessarily always the same direction... SO the Grain ends up looking like its mixed and matched.

IF I play with the colouring and finishing I can sometimes get it to show up all Horizontally which you would think would be preferred.

However the request is to have the grain ALL vertically... which to me doesnt look right. BUT not my choice.

for images using Solid Works I cant seem to get the GRAIN direction to change....

anyone know how this is done? or can be done? :?

I managed todo this using the properties and 'Rotation' value. although it would sometiems revert back.

any ideas?

is it better/ more approriate to define all materials such as wood materials for this purpose? as oppose to the appearance properties alone?

There are several options when dealing with the size/orientation of the material. I typically go back to the 'basic" tab to and rotate it the way it sounds like you did. I dont know why it reverts back sometimes, ive noticed that on flat pieces before.