AutoCAD 2006 and Windows 7

Grigs

My boss just came in and wants to get a new workstation with Windows 7 64bit on it. We are, however, out of copies of AutoCAD 2007 to install but have many 2006 copies. Will 2006 run under Win7? If so, how reliably? Or should I suggest getting 2012?

I vote for last option. Same before me for tomorrow: Win7 64 bit and Acad 2012. Dvd will be here tomorrow morning, workstation on standby...

Yes, it should run but if you have any problems you are basically on your own for coming up with solutions.

One question though, what version of Win7? It may make a big difference.

Is the computer for you or for the boss? If for the boss and he doesn't need to use AutoCad very often just give him 2006. If it is for you, ask to get 2012.

I don't believe R2006 (or 2007) will run on Win7 64bit natively.

If you do not upgrade to 2012 You can get in to run. First, you'll need to use Win7 Pro or Ultimate. Then you need to download Windows Virtual PC and install. then Windows XP Mode and install.

After doing that you set up a virtual machine running Windows XP and install 2006 into the virtual machine. It's a bit of a pain but it works. I've got my trusty old R14 running that way - I'm not incredibly happy about it, performance suffers.

One thing I was concerned about was being able to fully utilize my dual monitor set up. At first I was not able to but after some googling around and some research and fiddling around I found a way to accomplish it.