Custom Field Code

I am having trouble finding a reference for how to use field code. I am trying to create a custom fied in MTEXT that will only display the 1st 25 characters of a filename. I can't find any good resources to explain how field code in AutoCAD works on the web or in the AutoCAD help.

From what I can tell, you're not allowed to edit the formatting in a field directly. No doubt there's some arcane way to do it through programming, but it would probably take a lot of time (assuming you're not a serious programmer) and be more trouble than it's worth. Sorry. Maybe someone else knows how to do it.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a hardcore coder but I'm pretty apt with tech and some basic. Editing the code doesn't look to hard. It looks sort of like a slightly different excel formula. I just have no references for how the field code works. I think I just need to modify the preset field code for the file name with something limiting the text to 25 characters. I should be able to paste straight to the MTEXT.