Callout Dimenstion Twice

Mike_Taylor

So, I am currently doing some structural work for a company who wants all footings/piers to be square.

I am simply makeing an elevation of the piers to show depth and all reinforcing steel/dowels. Is there a way I can callout a number twice in one dimesion.

For example a fooring is 1500x1500, is there a way I call the 1500 twice rather than over ride the text and type x1500 after the dimension.

Calling out the second number using does not work, I cannot use dynamic blocks are LISP (my co-workers have no idea how this works so have forbid me to use them).

Any ideas? Sorry if this has been addressed already, I did several searches and found nothing in the forums.

Using ACAD 2006 (needs to be doable in 2004 as its the oldest version we have here).

Well, you can't use dy-maniacal blocks in AutoCad older than 2007 anyhow, so just put a override after the one dimension. Or you can set up a special dimension style with the SQ. as the suffix just for square things. Most fabricators and field dudes know the SQ. means it is the same in both directions.

You might be able to set a DIMALT series of variables to a scale matching the current scale (or 1:1) and set your Dim style to display alternate units.

dynamic blocks only work in 2006+...using alternate units was a thought but then i remembered it add a square brackets to each side of the dim text...unless you don't mind seeing 1500 x [ 1500 ]...can't think of any other way of doing this without lisp and/or dynamic blocks...

hey, just discovered that you can change or remove the brackets...to remove the brackets do the following:

1) in the suffix field of the Primary Units type: x \X\f (that is, space, letter x, space \X\f)

2) in the prefix field of the Alternate Units type: ; (a semi-colon)

3) in the suffix field of the Alternate Units type: \f

make sure to set the Alt unit format to the same and the multiplier unit to 1...

found this out based on this link...http://cad-notes.com/2011/04/autocad-tip-remove-alternate-unit-bracket-in-dimension/

Its a relatively simple thing, you would think there would be a simpler way of doing it, that worked like a charm, thanks mate!

dynamic blocks only work in 2006+...using alternate units was a thought but then i remembered it add a square brackets to each side of the dim text...unless you don't mind seeing 1500 x [ 1500 ]...can't think of any other way of doing this without lisp and/or dynamic blocks...

They do? OK, I thought dyn blocks were introduced in 2007.

Still, for the construction industry, you guys are putting way too much importance on having both side dimensions showing. It is normal and expected to see square items labeled with nothing more than one dimension with SQ. for a suffix. Often it is even done with a leader rather than a normal dimension line. I usually don't even bother to set up a style like that, I just add the SQ in an override.

Wait, you're in Canada. Does that make a difference?:lol: Your squares are all the same size all around, right?;)

Haha, T\yep. Thenissue we have though is that about 50% of our footings are going flush to existing footings. So they cannot be square, and do to the loads we have (storage mezanines and heavy snow loads) so they can't necessarily all be square.